51. birthdays & surprises

Start from the beginning

"That's fine, mom. Is she okay?"

"Yeah, and she's run off somewhere in the house with Waffles. Is Renee okay?"

"She is. Just tired, but we'll be down soon."

"Alright," she nodded before leaving.

I shook Renee, "Wake up sleepyhead."

"I'm up," she answered, her eyes open and a small smile on her face.

""Since when?"

"Since your mom said I was cute."

I chuckled, "Dork."

*

Renée

I woke up to my phone going off. Groaning and rubbing my eyes, I checked my recent messages. It was a text from my dad.

~How are you 17 today? You're growing up so fast, sweetie. Happy birthday, baby. We're so proud to be your parents. Have the best day today. We've sent you some money through Tanner. We love you.

Mom & dad.~

I smiled, replying their text, which led me to replying about five more texts. One of the most stressful things about birthdays had to be trying to catch up and reply every single text. Still a bit groggy, I yawned while stretching.

Just then, my door banged open and Tanner came in, yelling, "Happy birthday, baby sister!"

I shrieked and fell off my bed.

"Well, that's a great way to start being 17," he chuckled.

I rolled my eyes and was about to get up from the floor when I was tackled back to the ground by Tanner who planted kisses all over my face as he said, "Happy birthday, happy birthday!"

I tilted my head from side to side, giggling, "Tanner!"

He smiled widely, "Happy birthday. I love you."

I playfully pushed him off, "Well, thank you."

We both got up and he pulled me into a hug. "You're the best sister in the world. I'm so proud of you too," he ruffled my hair.

"I love you," I flung my arms around him.

"Now, go get for ready for school, I'll get your breakfast ready."

*

So far, my day was going good. Messages from family and family friends kept rolling in, and my smile got wider when I got a text from Zee too. I was just about to reply her text when Harper sat beside me, placing her tray on the table but with a disappointed look on her face.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"Yeah," she nodded. "I'm fine."

I nudged her softly, "You can tell me. What's wrong?"

She hesitated before saying quietly. "He doesn't like me."

I swallowed, "Jace?"

She nodded again. "Yeah. He never liked me."

"I'm so sorry," I looked at her, and she shrugged, "It's not your fault."

"On the game day... I saw him with some other girl by the bathroom. I-I was going to tell you, but—"

"It's okay, Renée. I'm stupid."

"Don't say that. You're not stupid. He is. Because he doesn't know what he's missed out on. You're beautiful, Harper."