chapter two

CHAPTER TWOIT GETS WORSE AT NIGHT

CHAPTER TWO
IT GETS WORSE AT NIGHT

Before the Halloween party that night, Donna stopped by her house quickly before heading over to Nancy's to pick out a Halloween costume. She didn't spend much time at her house and she absolutely never had anyone over.

Because she was living with her father at a cabin in the woods and they were keeping a big secret. Her father was trying to save Eleven, or 'El', or Jane. And it didn't surprise her.

Donna knew her father broke when Sara died and she almost thought Eleven was making him better. But Donna didn't care about anything in the world - maybe Jonathan some of the time. But she didn't care about her home life. It was just an adjustment.

Donna didn't think her father would be home since it was the afternoon and she's imagine he was still working. But when she used the secret knock and it was her father to open the door and not El, she rolled her eyes.

"Look who decided she would actually live here." Hopper said in an annoyed voice.

"Very funny." Donna said as she moved past him to her room to grab a few pairs of clothes.

"Where are you going now?" He asks, following her to her room. Donna could see out of the corner of her eye that Eleven was watching their altercation and she turned around to not cause a scene.

"I'm going to Nancy's." Donna says, shoving some clothes into her bag. "And then to a party." She finished as she looked up to make eye contact with her father.

"What's going on with you?" Hopper shakes his head and looks down at her. She rolls her eyes, she wasn't gonna he talked down too from him.

"I'm just having fun." She shook her head, trying to pass him but he didn't let her. "Look, I'll come back in the morning and we'll all three have breakfast or something." Donna says as she ran her fingers through her hair.

Hopper wanted to keep her from going but it was a parent child relationship where he felt like he had to give her what she wanted or he felt like he was failing as a parent. He hadn't really been a parent for a few years.

Donna didn't feel resentment towards her father, she didn't hate him or view him as an absent parent, she was young and would rather not have him on her ass. She absolutely knew if she ever needed him, he'd be there.

"Donna." Jim stopped her. "El being here, that's okay for you right?" He asked her like she cared.

"Yeah, yeah. She's a good kid." Donna said and smiled at El from across the cabin. "But I gotta go, okay? I'll see you guys tomorrow." She said, saying bye to both of them as she left.