Chapter 54: Be Careful What You Wish For

Start from the beginning

He frowned, trying to remember where she’d just been, “I think she just got back from New York yesterday and…” He gathered his memories. “And… she had a photo-shoot this morning.” He checked the time. “She should be finished by now. I think she’s off to LA this afternoon.”

Proof raised an eyebrow, impressed by how much work she was doing, “When’s the last time you saw her?”

He sighed, “A few weeks ago. It's like whenever I get back from work, she's leaving. And whenever she gets back, I have to work.”

His best friend had a sly smile on his face, “Are you having withdrawal symptoms?”

Marshall rolled his eyes and pushed the chair Proof was in across the studio floor with his foot as he said, “Shut up.”

Proof smiled but then looked suddenly serious, “You should go talk to her. You have some free time and she’s probably home right now. And I can tell you’re not concentrating on any lyrics right now.”

Marshall drew in a deep breath. He really needed to get started on this soundtrack but he was desperate to see Riley.

 Proof kept his eyes trained firmly on him. “Stop arguing with yourself- go.”

Knowing he was right, he shoved his notepad back into his backpack and slung it around his shoulder and headed for the door. Before he walked out he knocked on the wooden frame, “Hey Proof.” His friend looked back at him. He offered him a small smile. “Thanks.” Proof nodded once as Marshall turned and left the studio, headed for Riley’s house.

Fifteen minutes later, he was standing in her doorway, watching her throw things into her handbag. She seemed frustrated and flustered, as if she were in a hurry and wasn’t in the mood to talk. Lucky him. He’d considered buying some flowers or something on the way but didn’t have the time. He tried not to be off put by her rushed attitude.

"Can we talk?"

Riley let out a sigh as she grabbed her handbag, "I've been waiting, wanting to talk for two weeks. I don't have time right now. I'll be late for my flight."

Marshall followed her out the apartment door and down the hallway, "I know we're both busy-"

Riley clicked the button for the elevator and it chimed open. She stepped inside and pressed the door button to close him out. Frustrated, he jammed his hand out and forced the elevator doors open. Stepping inside she re-closed the doors as the elevator. They headed down in silence. About halfway, he pulled the emergency brake. Riley through him a wild look. He couldn’t believe she was being so difficult right now. He thought she’d be happy to see him.

"Look, you knew going into this that it wasn't going to be hard. Both of us have full on careers."

"I know."

 He could tell she wasn't interested in talking to him right now. His frustration was skyrocketing by this point, especially as she attempted to pull the brake off. He smacked her hand away from it.

"Would you just-" before he could stop himself, he pushed her against the elevator wall. He had each palm flat against either side of her head so she couldn't move and was forced to look at him.

"I'm sick of you not listening to me. You've been ignoring me!"

Riley's temper rose as she was forced into an uncomfortable situation. "I'm not your mother. I can't give you attention every minute of every day. I have a life and responsibilities. I know you're used to the spotlight with all your fans but I can't live up to that."

He gritted his teeth. "You're saying I'm a baby?"

"I'm saying you're acting like one. I can't give you credit for everything you do," Riley retorted.

Marshall banged his hand against the wall in anger, "You're starting to sound a hell of a lot like Kim."

"I'm beginning to see why you got a divorce." Her words sliced right through him, like butter. She leant forwards and managed to pull off the emergency brake.

In an angry fit, the words just flew out of him. “This is ridiculous. You wouldn’t even have a career if it wasn’t for me!”

Riley’s gasp was audible and clearly shocking. “Why would you-”

“Do you really think that if I didn’t use you for the music video you would be famous? Or if I didn’t date you? Why do you think you’re suddenly so popular?!”

He saw the outrage flare in her eyes as she banged her fist against the wall behind her. “My successful career has shit all to do with you and everything to do with my blood, sweat and goddamn tears. I worked for this career.”

“I gave it to you!” He screamed.

The elevator doors chimed and opened behind him.

They both stood there, breathing heavily, pissed beyond measure. Riley, undoubtedly mad, but also visibly hurt, lowered her head. Her voice was suddenly full of pain instead of anger. It was cold as ice. “I can’t believe you think that.”

As she raised her head he spotted the tears in her eyes.

His tongue had taken him too far this time. “Riley-”

He released his cage around her as she pushed past, "I have a plane to catch, Marshall."

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART 2: ENCORE

See @meni.me on Instagram for release details