"Urgh. Fine, but come over during the break and apply for a soulmate VISA if you can't take it."

"I will."

She left at that note, giving Miri a big hug and a kiss on her cheek.

The flight home passed quickly. She spent the time reading up on soulmates and soul bonds. Her case wasn't rare, there were stories online of people who had consumed soul bond suppressants before meeting their soulmates. But none of them were in a polyamorous relationship and none of their soulmates were famous.

The answers to her questions on what to do commonly consisted of 'just befriend the person' or 'just tell the person and show them the medical document.' Amber had sighed at that and went back to research on the side effects of a soul bond suppressant.

Side effect 1: Pain of the soul, typically described as the feeling of heartbreak, but the magnitude varies from person to person.

When she stepped out of the arrival gate, the familiar sight of her mother and father sent tears running down her face and she was in their arms before she knew it. One big breakfast from McDonald's and two cups of coffee later, she was blurting out the entire story, teary-eyed and raspy-voiced.

"Don't worry about it dear, please. I'm sure it'll work out fine." Her mother soothed, gently rubbing her arm.

Her voice was heavy with an accent that resulted in exotic lilting tones in her pronunciation. Amber didn't know what accent her mother had. The woman spoke seven languages and three dialects. It resulted in a rather strange Asian accent that nobody could pinpoint.

Perhaps Teochew? The Southern Min dialect of China.

"As a soul bond researcher, I can promise you that soul bond suppressants do not mean that your soul bond will disappear forever." Her father nodded, his brows furrowing together as he tapped his hands against his deep, tanned olive skin. "The soul is a marvellous thing. It will try to find all kinds of ways to become whole."

Side effect 2: Fatigue and confusion

"What should I do?" Amber sighed, downing the last bit of her coffee. The caffeine barely did anything to her sleep-addled mind, and she remained bone-tired.

"Work on looking for Mrs Wang? We'll try to save up more money for you to go to Korea. We can't have Miri spending so much on you." Her mother said. "I'll take on a job in the meantime. Your father's income will not be enough for this."

"Mom, you don't have to. I'll work or something." Amber's eyes widened at her mother's words.

Soul bond researchers like her father did not earn much. It was a job that had a largely fluctuating pay. Their income was based on that division's achievements in research. Only if they discovered something new, patented it and sold it would they make thousands of dollars.

Her father's income wasn't a small sum. But in the country they resided in where housing prices could hit at about a million dollars on average. It was not enough to get by and they struggled to live comfortably.

Side effect 3: Depression

"Nonsense, I do intend to go back to the workforce and continue my work as a translator or a teacher for the languages I know." Her mother shrugged, brushing her fingers through her long jet black hair. "That'll be enough to cover the air tickets you will need."

Amber glanced at her mother, turning to look at her father in despair. She didn't want to rope her parents into this. While Amber wasn't that old, she was becoming concerned about her parent's retirement which she dreamed would be one filled with lots of relaxing vacations and zero concerns over money.

Amber would not forgive herself if they ended up having to scrimp and save for the rest of their lives because of her. While she had seven rich soulmates, with extremely high net worth, they had their own parents to think of and Amber did not know if they would ever be willing to pay for hers.

Besides, how much money did the company take from them? If the rumours online were true, some companies would take up to 60% of their idol's pay. They might not have enough.

"Dad..."

"Don't worry about it, kid. We always said we would support your dreams. We'll get you to where you want to go...On that note!" He smiled, his eyes warm with his concern. "I'm working on soul bond suppressants. If you have any questions you can ask me."

And she did. Amber bombarded her father with thousands of questions which he answered carefully and clearly. It was only when she needed to head to the toilet that she left her seat. Amber sighed, plonking down onto the toilet bowl to empty her bladder.

Her life had gotten a lot more confusing but Amber hoped that one day she could look back at this and laugh. She quickly flushed and washed her hands speedily, flicking her fingers towards the sink before heading out to her parents.

She sighed, pushing the door and stepping out.