Izuna bit the bottom of his lip, his pupils trembling for a slight second.
"I've ended things with her seeing as my life is fading by the second."
Madara continued with his movements without hesitation, but the hurt in his brother's voice touched his heart.

Madara frowned. "Understandable. I-"
"Please protect her." Izuna gripped the fabric of his yukata. "And Ayumi too. Protect the Uchiha."

Madara narrowed his eyes, staring into his brother's back. "I intend to."

-

Madara stood up, scrubbing his hands in a tub of hot water he had placed near Izuna. He dried his hands with a cloth.

"Is father sleeping?" Madara asked.
Izuna shook his head. "Most likely not. Here, I'll come with you."

Madara helped Izuna stand up.
"Ayumi is going to give me an earful if she ever finds out you're this sick." Madara held his brother's arm over his shoulder.
Izuna winced slightly. "I'm sure she'll be understanding. She's done enough for me, the both of us actually."

Madara nodded, and they continued to walk quietly throughout the halls.
Izuna looked up at his brother. "But I can even see that something's changed in your eyes nii-san. You were always so callous with others but it's almost as if Ayumi has tamed you. She's your calming force."

"Izuna..." Madara looked down at his limping brother. Madara felt sad, and that was the one emotion he felt comfortable enough expressing around his brother.

"Now's not the time for moping. I just thank you for the things you've done." Izuna said.
Madara bit the inside of his cheek, eyes narrowed ahead. He could already hear his father's muffled coughing through the shoji. But Madara swallowed the lump forming in his throat. "I wish it could have been more." Madara said.

-

"Chi chi." Madara sat beside his father, who had been laying down in a futon, a washcloth on his head. His old age had been catching up to him.

"My sons." Tajima looked at the both Izuna and Madara. "I'm so proud of the both of you."
The brothers fell silent, sparing each other a solemn glance. Tajima coughed.
"Father." Izuna grew worried, leaning in.
"Don't speak too much." Madara said.

"Always been giving orders, even when I'm on my deathbed." Tajima grunted as he brought a pained hand to his torso.
Madara sighed, it had been a force of habit, a natural streak of a clan leader.

"You should let Ayumi know. Don't hide." Tajima croaked. "My advice? Always be honest with her."
Madara's eyebrows knit at the weak state of his family members. It had become too much to bear. But his father had a point, Tajima was a man revered for his honesty despite his terrifying lineage. "I'll see to that." Madara spoke coolly.

"When Ayumi came over to let me know of your relationship," Tajima started, as he attempted to sit up. Izuna and Madara helped their father. "It was clear to me that the both of you were total opposites. She cared for the weak, meanwhile you did not. I worried that your life as a shinobi would destroy your inherent humanity. I asked Ayumi to be a sheath for your ungovernable rage." Tajima's eyes fell to the floor. "Your mother was much like that to me." He stared at his sleeping wife beside him.

Madara looked down. Maybe his father had been right.

* A BIT LATER *