28 | J A N E L L E

Start from the beginning

"I'm short... but I'm not that short. Cut it out." I put his other hand on my shoulder while still holding the other one. We made our way down the hallway and got a few weird looks from people, and thankfully only I could tell. If Erik could, he would be making a scene in the hall, and possibly get us kicked out of the hotel for good.

Dragging him to the elevator and getting him inside of it ended up being the hard part, only because we were stuck inside of it with a middle aged couple. They didn't make noise, but he knew that it wasn't just us two in there. "My girlfriends into kinky shit." He pointed to the blindfold on his face, smirking. I glared at him and massaged my temples. "So I apologize on her behalf if this looks crazy."

'You did not have to say that.'

"H-he's joking." I stuttered. "Excuse him." Thankfully, the elevator doors opened and they walked out with a kind smile. But as soon as the doors closed, I turned to Erik and hit his arm. "Don't make me regret being nice to you." He mocked me, in response. Erik's arms reached out and pulled me against his chest. I groaned and looked up at him, focusing my attention on his beard. "Remember now I said yesterday I don't like when you don't talk? I think I take that back. It's keeps all of the bullshit from coming out your mouth."

"I just wanna know where you're taking me. I don't like surprises— be lucky that I'm playing along and wearing this damn blindfold." He lifted it up and little to look down at me.

"Like I said: if I told you, it would ruin it. Please, play along? You'll like it. Then after that, no more surprises; I swear."

___________________

"Would you ever come back here permanently, if you had the chance?" I asked him as we drove. He eventually tightened the strings to his hoodie and was sitting with his arms crossed as I drove. "I mean; even getting a vacation home here?"

"No."

"Why?"

"S'nothing here for me anymore." He shrugged and cleared his throat. "I have friends here, but the environment isn't something I could see myself being in anymore. Sometimes you gotta leave the past in the past."

I simply nodded—even though he couldn't see it, and kept watching the streets that we drove past. We drove past a few restaurants and basketball courts that were covered with people despite it still being early in the day. I could understand why he would want to stay away.

"You prefer here, or New York?" He asked me.

"I think I like New York for the night life, but California seems very relaxing. I wouldn't mind visiting New York again." I made a left.

"You look nice today—"

"I'm still not telling you where I'm taking you. Please, just let me do one thing nice for you." I put my hand on his shoulder and shook it. A chuckled came from his lips, giving me the answer I wanted. "When we leave, we can find a place to eat at— if you're up for it."

One of the songs that he knew on the radio came on, and he started mumbling along to it, nodding his head to its rhythm. It was probably the only peace I'd be getting out of him for the rest of the day. As soon as the GPS started saying that it was reaching our destination I got nervous, and it didn't help that he could tell.

I tried to think of other things that could distract me, but it didn't help. I didn't know how he would react— if he would hate me, or appreciate it... but I knew it was something he needed. We entered into the area and he turned the radio down.