Part 26

"Are you okay?"

After the crowds had dispersed, the Queen pulled Henry, Nate and me into a room alone. She dismissed the servants, and as the door closed behind them she embraced me tightly, looking terrified for me.

I hugged her back, feeling tired. "I survived."

Sitting in a chair and grabbing a cup of tea that had just been poured, I took my time between sips to explain the events of the night.

CRASH!

The Queen's teacup smashed against the table, the shards mixed with golden brown tea falling to the floor at her feet. She stared at the destruction, her face angry. "How dare they?" It was just a whisper, but I shivered at the intensity in her voice. "I just wanted to celebrate my birthday with my friends, my daughter... and they try to hurt her instead?"

I reached out, grabbing her hand tightly with my own. "It's okay, I'm safe now. Thanks to Henry and Nate I was able to turn around the situation and use it to suit my own purposes."

The Queen hesitated, and then stood up to grab both Nate and Henry, hugging them tightly. "Thank you for helping her."

They both smiled, the expressions giving me a warm feeling. "We care for her too." Henry answered, as Nate nodded in agreement beside him.

"At least there's no way I can be forced to marry the prince now."." I sighed with relief, taking another sip of my tea. "It's over."

The Queen sat back down, a complicated look on her face. "I wouldn't say that."

As there were no servants in the room to clear off the mess she had made, she simply grabbed another cup, filling it herself before continuing. "The King... is a proud man."

She leaned back, staring into her cup. "He's terrified of the Royal family losing control. Initially he only wanted your Duchy's wealth and political power as a backer to our reign. Then by the time he realized your true talents, Ronan had already broken off the engagement." She laughed, but the sound was bitter and angry.

"He's intelligent, but blinded by pride. He likely thinks that if he could force you to be married into the family, that your self-interest would align with his and the Crown's position strengthened. "

I followed her words, nodding solemnly. "But he wasn't able to force me to marry Ronan, and instead the Prince has been engaged to the daughter of a Count."

"Exactly." The Queen watched me carefully, her eyes sad. "What do you think his reaction will be?"

I smiled. "He's going to try to kill me."

The Queen nodded silently, standing up and pulling me to my feet to embrace me again.

"Wait!" Nate spoke up, his anger obvious. "Wouldn't that just cause more trouble than it's worth?! Lenora isn't even interested in the crown!"

"He sees her as a threat." Surprisingly it was Henry who answered, frowning. "She's talented, wealthy, the people love her, and she can't be controlled. Plus his only heir is hated by the people, especially these days."

"More than that, she thwarted his plans." The Queen held my hand after she stepped back. "I said it before, he's a proud man. The existence of someone who has successfully stood against him... embarrassed him... he won't tolerate it for long."

Nate stepped forward to stand by me. "Let's see him try to touch her. " His normally affable appearance faded, his grim visage reminding me of why we had used him to intimidate others in meetings in the past. His eyes were cold, his hands clenched tightly. "He won't survive the attempt."