Side Part 2 - Rig

In a previous life...

I was always a simple man, with a simple wish. I had secrets, more than most, but this fundamental thing about me never changed. Even in the underground world of spies and intrigue, my heart always yearned for one simple thing to be happy:

A family.

When I first met Helda, I didn't know she was the daughter of the Lord of the estate I lived on. I came across her one day, standing in the gardens, a beautiful girl with a bright, kind smile. I felt nervous, having never seen such a pretty girl before.

"Do you like flowers?" I asked her, my heart in my throat. Around her I felt foolish, tongue tied.

"I love them!" She laughed at my question, and I couldn't help but smile.

We met frequently after that, despite the differences in our statuses. We spoke of many things, gradually learning about each other, our lives, of our hopes and dreams.

___________________________

"What do you want most in life?" She asked me one day, stroking the blue flower I had given her earlier.

"I want to be happy." I grinned at her. "Family, friends... if I had people who truly cared for me, I wouldn't want for anything else."

"A family... what about your father?"

Her question dampened my mood, and I frowned as I thought of the overly serious man working in the stables.

"He doesn't care about me much." I tried to keep my tone light. Truthfully, my father hated me. He often complained about being stuck with me after my mother had died, and about how useless I was. I didn't say that, however. I didn't want her to think less of me. I just wanted her to smile at me like she always did.

"..." Despite my efforts, an awkward silence stretched between us. I looked down at my lap, only to be shocked when a small delicate hand reached over and grabbed my own.

"I care about you." Her soft words stuck a chord in my heart, shaking me to my core. I looked up at her, unable to hide the emotions in my eyes.

I loved her.

Even without a mother or father, perhaps I could build a new family. One that I loved and loved me in return. I smiled at Helda, blinking back tears.

My dream was coming true.

___________________________

SLAP!

"You brat! You were sniffing around the Lord's daughter!" My father's hand struck my face with force, knocking me to the ground. I spat out blood, having bit my tongue in the impact, and shakily climbed to my feet. The flowers in my hands were trampled on the ground, and I stared at the ruined blossoms in dismay.

"I love her."

"She's beyond your reach, fool. Stop dreaming!" His sneering words made me angry, but before I could retort he through a small bag at me.

"The lord has already given his order. You are to leave today, and never return."

I clutched the pack, stunned. My father was turning me out without hesitation, just because the Lord had seen me bringing flowers to his daughter?

What would they do if they knew how close we truly are? Suppressing this thought, I took the bag and left, writing to Helda what had happened.

___________________________

A few weeks went by, but she didn't respond, causing me to panic. I sent letter after letter until finally her maid sent me a message, describing her condition.