Chapter 13

Gabriel sat with Natalie watching the live broadcast of the Charity Auction. He was not concerned by the idle gossip Nadja Chamuck was dishing up as news, although he would be having a word or two with the network about it. He was however trying to deal with the fact that Adrien had given Marinette Emilie's eternity bangle. A bangle Gabrel had given to her as a wedding gift. Of course it was Adrien's to do with as he wanted, he couldn't very well stop him. For some reason Emilie had given it to Adrien before they left on that fateful trip to Tibet. The truth of the matter was that Adrien had been dating this girl for barely a week and yet he had given her something which Gabriel knew Adrien held very dear to him. Was there something more to this that he was missing? He knew Adrien was an emotional person, but at 18 was he seriously suggesting that this Maintette was the one? Gabriel recalled Adrien had said he and Marinette had been close friends for a few years but still. Watching them on the red carpet, there was absolutely no denying the chemistry between them, that tight bond like they had already spent a lifetime together. Perhaps it was a prang of jealousy Gabriel felt, or the pain of past memories that haunted him.

Natalie watched Gabriel with concern in her eyes. He was looking pale and gaunt and she was worried about him. His health had not improved since that failed akuma attempt. Several times as the cameras had spanned the room they had caught sight of Lila Rossi sitting with her mother. They both knew she was waiting for an akuma as she kept looking around the room, but Gabriel made no move to appease her. While Nooroo had recovered somewhat, he still was not in a position to hold a transformation for long, not without healing from the guardian. Besides, Gabriel was now in two minds about what he should do. On the one hand was the chance to bring Emilie back, and erase their mistakes. On the other was Adrien and the happiness and love he had found with Marinette. He had to concede that Adrien was no longer a child desperately seeking a mothers love, but a young man himself in love with plans of his own, if the bracelet was any indication. Was their love real enough to replace that hole in their lives?

As the night was drawing to a close, Adrien and Chloe performed their duet. Gabriel cringed slightly at Chloe's performance, but he simply couldn't convince Marinette to replace her. He had to admit, he respected the girl for not taking advantage of the situation. Chloe took to the runway to show off the dress which fitted her perfectly, as Gabriel knew it would and the numbers on the screen started to rise as the bids came in. Gabriel was more than pleased with the outfit and he had already shown it around privately before the auction.  Adrien was then seen to duck off stage and re-emerge with Marinette. Indicating for his head mic to be turned back on he addressed the crowd as Chloe posed to the side of the stage.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of Mayor Bourgeois and my father Gabriel Agreste I'd like to thank you for your generosity tonight. As final bids come in for the dress that Chloe is wearing, a one of a kind I might add, I would like to introduce to you the designer, my girlfriend, Marinette Dupain-Cheng."

Gabriel was about to switch off the broadcast when Adrien suddenly grabbed up his girlfriend by the waist, tipping her back slightly and planting a highly passionate kiss to the delight of the live audience. Needless to say, bidding on the dress skyrocketed. Nathalie's eyes shot towards Gabriel as he leaned forward, eyes narrowing. "No, it can't be." He almost whispered.

Nathalie realised Gabriel's eyes were not focused on the pair kissing. Adrien's right hand came up to caress Marinette's face, the stage lights catching his silver ring. As he ran his hand into her hair, Gabriel became focused on the dark studs on Marinette's ear resting next to the ring on Adrien's finger. Gabriel stood up with a gasp. He had thought it once before, he'd questioned where the ring had come from and why his son always wore it. Then the earrings, so out of place with the formal attire, something a student of fashion would never do. Now it all made perfect sense. This was no ordinary girlfriend. This was a relationship three years in the making, this was the other half, the light to the dark, creation to destruction. Marinette was the Ladybug to Adrien's Chat Noir - he couldn't be mistaken this time, it had to be. Gabriel felt the whole world crashing down on his head.