31.- The promise

Judy took a breath to tell what happened earlier.

"Well... In the end..." She had a hard time containing her emotions, she seemed like she couldn't go on. "Mark... he..." She sighed sadly. "Go on, Nick, I can't." She looked to the side dully.

Nick sighed and got ready to speak. "Well, they went to attend Mark and... they couldn't save him..."

Vol looked down at the news. "I expected it... After all, he already had it bad." He sighed deeply and shook his head from side to side. "This stinks..."

"We'll have to attend the funeral, which will be tomorrow." The fox sighed again after mentioning it and Vol thought for a moment.

"Tomorrow... Now it's 7 pm... We have time for the operation." He raised his head and a small flame of determination appeared in his eyes.

Judy raised her eyebrow, wondering what that blue fox wanted to do. "Vol, aren't you thinking about... saving Adrian?" Her partner nodded. "We have to fill in the report of Mark's death, plus I doubt Bogo will let us do the mission."

"I couldn't save Mark, I want to at least be able to save his brother in time." He placed his paw, still gloved, on his chest. "I made him a promise, I can't fail, Judy. I want to try." He had a willing look.

"We can tell Bogo, the most he'd say is 'no'." Nick stepped forward, making sense in the matter.

The bunny looked at Vol. "Go talk to Bogo first and try to explain the operation before starting it."

"Will do, Judy." He nodded. "Wait for me." After taking off his gloves and putting on his uniform again, he rushed to Bogo's office, wanting to complete the assignment. He went up the stairs and knocked, with moderate force, on the door of his boss' office. The fox noticed a hint of bad humor in the buffalo's voice when he received an answer to enter.

"What's the problem now, officer Jimenez?" He looked seriously at Vol.

"Chief, there's a mission that needs to be done now and I'll go do it alone, but with reinforcements close to me."

"What do you mean? What operation?" Vol caught him off guard, but the fox looked him straight in the eye.

"I'm going to try to save Mark Cougar's little brother, Adrian, from where he is so that-"

"No." The buffalo answered without letting him finish and lowered his head to continue his work. "I do not authorize it, first we would need evidence to start investigating."

"Chief, his brother is dead and if we don't let him say goodbye properly, that little guy will regret it for the rest of his life. He'll want to say 'goodbye' to him." He frowned with annoyance.

With some anger, Bogo got up from his seat. "I already said no. That's breaking the police code, first is to investigate and discover evidence to go after the suspect. Now, find evidence or I won't lift a finger."

Vol took the carrot pen out of his pocket. "I have proof, Chief... It's here, on tape. I did the investigation on my own. It's a promise I made to Mark: Save Adrian." Bogo was surprised by the fox's statement.

"Do you know that this can constitute a sanction for not telling of these movements?" The policemammal nodded. "Did you decide to risk your job for something like that?" Vol closed his eyes and sighed.

"And I would do it again if, with this, I can save a child. Punish me if you want, Chief, but let me do this operation to save the little panther."

Bogo checked the evidence without saying anything else. The recording showed Vol's conversation with Lewis, mentioning the panther. What he doubted is how he had that information, how he was able to access it. After thinking about it for a bit, he spoke again.