25.- The puzzle getting resolved

"Keep calm when you go to ask him, okay?" Vol nodded. "I've done some data digging, looking up the description Ryan gave me, and... two results appeared. The two that came up are Mark Cougar and Luke Henry. They're related and graduated the same year."

"What kind of relationship?" The blue fox asked, tilting his head with his right paw under the muzzle. "Last name doesn't match."

"Cousins," his companion answered. "Luke is the oldest of the two, Mark has a younger brother, 9 years old."

"We'll have to pay Luke a visit. Do you know his address?"

Nick looked through his file. "He lives at Downtown 20th, ground floor, letter C. He has been living there for years and is a recognized psychologist. A panther, 33 years old, has a doctorate in psychology and neurological treatment. He lives alone and is 1.55 meters tall."

The unusual vulpine nodded. "Okay, call Judy and we'll go there as soon as I talk to Bogo about Lone." He left towards Bogo's office, frowning and a bit angry, while Nick got ready to move. He arrived at the buffalo's office and knocked softly, receiving permission to enter. When he heard it, he walked in, stopping to frown for the moment.

"What's the matter, officer Jimenez?"

"Chief Bogo, did you know the individual 'Lone' had an arrest warrant on its name?" He frowned again, slowly putting his paws on the table. "If so, why weren't we told?"

The great herbivore sighed. "That case was handled by the secret police department, we didn't think that policemammals like you needed to know about it." When he said that, Vol felt heating up inside of him. "Did something happen with Lone?"

"I'll tell you if you keep it a secret, chief, the last thing I want is for our justice to be undermined by Lone's downfall."

"What do you mean, officer?" Bogo frowned, starting to feel irritated. "Confess what you know."

"Promise me and I'll tell you what I know. It shall stay between these four walls." Vol's eyes gave a stern look on the buffalo, fully sure of what he was doing while asking.

"I'll keep it until he's a risk to us." The buffalo nodded. "Now tell me what you know."

"Trust me, he won't do anything bad..." The fox looked down and smiled. "Well then..." Vol told Bogo about how Lone saved him from the rats and when Sophie was arrested, ignoring their recent face-to-face encounter, trying to exculpate the black wolf as much as possible. After the story, the buffalo widened his eyes in surprise.

"He's a criminal but he decided to protect you and Wilde. He may have some protective feelings about the officers."

"From what I could see, he's focused on my well-being. I don't think any criminal would do that."

Bogo thought for a moment. "Okay, we'll try to find out more about him. We never had this conversation, officer."

"What conversation?" Vol smiled and left saying goodbye to the police chief. He went downstairs, where the rabbit and the fox were waiting, the kangaroo accompanying them as well. The rabbit took a few steps forward to talk with Vol.

"Nick told me about the stuff with Lone, did you find anything?"

The blue fox nodded. "Yeah, he knows about it and they didn't consider telling us. Besides, I told him he's focused on my well-being. Hopefully, they won't be harsh on him."

"At least you took a weight off your shoulders." Nick smiled the way he does, half-closing his eyes.

Vol changed the subject to the case at paw. "Judy, what did you find about the earphones?"