How I met your boss

“I- I don’t know what you’re talking about” I squeaked, I had tried to keep my voice low but well, failed, very miserably.

 The look Evelyn was giving me was one of absolute doom. I glanced around the room wondering if by jumping out of the window I would have a higher rate of survival than being in the same room as him.

“Well, you know the head of a coffee shop or manager isn’t very hard to trick!” I squeaked, my sentences were all jumbled up. Evelyn was quiet, his face seemed to be set in stone, a dangerous glint stayed in his eyes. I knew he didn’t know what to say, if he said that what I was doing was dangerous he would give away too much... what else could he do except for pin me down with his glare?

He stood up towering over me yet again, he seemed to know how small that made me feel, I straightened up a little staring back as firmly as I could. I wouldn’t falter under those silver eyed, annoying glare of his. No I wouldn’t- I mean how bad could he really be? Evelyn wasn’t that scar-

“Do you bloody know how dangerous this is?” He yelled suddenly, the flash in his eyes growing, his hands automatically curling into fists. I subconsciously stepped back, in shock, my mouth dropping open.

“Well I-”

“You what Hazel? Tell me.” Evelyn hissed stepping forward, again I stepped back my eyes wide. “You don’t bloody know what you’re getting yourself into you bloody know that you stupid woman?” My mind went blank, no sarcastic retort about how of course I didn’t- came into my mind.

“Of course you bloody well don’t.” Evelyn yelled, his voice filling every nanometre of the room, I gulped. I didn’t really think this was the best moment to say anything. “But you know what Hazel?” Evelyn asked, his breath coming out ragged as if he had ran across a city. “Even if you knew what you were getting into. You would not bloody care.” Such a gentleman, even in such anger he only used the word bloody, I could see how much he was biting back other colourful language. “No. Of course not, it would only make you want to find out even more. Am I right?” I blinked wondering if this was a rhetorical question or not.

“Ye-es?” I saw his expression and quickly shook my head. “No. Of course not.” Perhaps that had been the required answer?  I felt as if it had been. Evelyn stepped forward yet again closing the gap between us, my back pressed onto cool glass, my eyes shifted down to where I could see a nerve racking drop. How strong exactly were these glass windows?

Rough fingers pushed my chin up and I found myself staring into Evelyn’s eyes again. I think I preferred looking down out of the window more.

“Do you know what you do Hazel?” He asked suddenly, his jaws clenched, his grip on my chin tightened alongside that. “Every day, I- your husband whether you like it or not- have to listen to you saying that bloody man’s name in your dreams.” My heart dropped, oh fantastic this was getting better and better. What next?

Evelyn’s voice had dropped into an almost whisper.

“You-” he paused as if biting back something “Neither of us wanted this” he said, his voice soft “you wanted that beloved Jack of yours, whatever his name is and I was not planning on getting married yet you act as if its only you- as if only you don’t want this” His grip tightened and his face inched closer still. “Yet still, I am the bad guy, and it’s you dreaming of- of a different future” Another way of saying of another man, just more...subtle “Don’t deny it.” His voice shook a little.

“Look. Evelyn- really I swear it’s not a nice dream.” I reassured saving my skin and doing the least to reassure him that I wasn’t as bad as he thought I was. Evelyn waited for me to continue. “You know this would be much more comfortable if you moved away and gave me space to breath.” Again no respond from Evelyn- until after a minute when he inched back a fraction as if moving back anymore would result in me jumping through the walls towards Jacob.