Chapter 19: Open Hearts

"Showers all yours." I said to Sean as I walk out of the bathroom of Karen's hotel room, fully clothed but a towel wrapped around my head. Sean gets up and heads towards the bathroom while Karen was unpacking her stuff and moving it off of one of the beds.

Sean goes into the bathroom and shuts the door as I pull off the towel off of my head and start to dry my hair as best as I could. "So what's your story?" Karen asked me and I look over at her. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Well...how did you end up here...with Sean?" She asked me. "Well...long story short...I ran away from home..." I started to explain and she gives me a curious and confused look. "Don't worry, it wasn't my real parents. I'm an orphan in foster care." I replied. "Ah!" She said as she nods at me to go on.

"I overheard my foster parents saying they were gonna send me back and get a different kid....course I did give them a hard time from time to time." I said. "Most teenagers do." Karen said and I smirk a bit.
"So I got upset and ran away....two days later....I met up with your sons. I honestly didn't think I would hang around them as long as I've had. But...they've basically become my family. I care about Daniel....and I care about Sean too....deeply." I said after I finished drying my hair. "Because you love him." She said and I look up at her, quickly.
"I could tell by the way you look at him. It reminded me of the way I used to look at his father." She said and I stare at her for a few moments then looked away.

"I know you're gonna want to explain yourself to Sean but I'm gonna warn you, he's gonna be very angry. Whenever you were brought up...he would shut the conversation down." I said. "I know...I'm not expecting a welcome back party." She said. "I just want to help get Daniel out of that...church. And if you care about him as much as you say you do, then you will let me help you and Sean."

"You don't have to convince me, Karen. I do believe we need all the help we can get...to get Daniel out of that place....but it's your oldest son you've got to talk to and convince...not me." I said and she and I stare at each other before she looks away from me then let's out a heavy sigh.

"I'm going out to get some supplies and some food. I'll be back in a little bit." Karen informed me. "Are you sure?" I asked her, narrowing my eyes at her. "Yes. I promise." Karen said as she heads towards the door. "Oh, that kid, Jacob, left his number in his letter over there." She said once she turns and points towards the other bed, where I see a piece of paper at the end.

"When you get the chance, call him." She said and I nodded at her. She gives a curt nod then walks out of the room and closes the door. I sigh at this then get my medicine bottle, take out a couple of pills and put the bottle up. I grab a water bottle, popped the pills in my mouth and swallowed them with water.

I set the water bottle down on the sidetable and sighed once again then I happened to look up and see a new set of clothes for Sean on the other bed. Looks like he forgot his clothes. I thought as walk over to the bed and pick up the clothes then looks towards the bathroom door. I mean, it's not like I've seen him naked before... I thought as I felt this huge lump in my throat.

I swallowed then head towards the door and grabbed the handle, realizing that it was unlocked. I take a breath then opened the door and head inside the bathroom. The shower was still running and the shower curtain was pulled to cover Sean. I go over to the toilet and set his clothes on top of the closed lid, just as the shower shuts off. I gasped as I turn and see Sean walking out of the shower.

"Oh, uh..." he stammers, embarrassed, and I bite my lips. "I was just bringing in your clothes..." I said. "Uh-huh...you sure you weren't just trying to sneak another peek?" He asked as he smiles and winks with his good eye. I give a playful scoff and said. "Oh yeah...you foiled my..." I stopped as I look at his torso and noticed the bruises on his sides. "Oh Sean..." I said, sympathetic, as he looks down at his body. "I know." He said, softly, as he looks back up at me. "That...that just makes me want to go back and beat the shit out of those assholes." I said then I turn to the toilet and pick up his clothes. "Here you go." I said as I hand him the clothes.