Chapter 12: I'm Not A Kid Anymore

Big Joe pulls up to the Farm and stops the truck and everyone starts to get off of the truck. "Shit...so tired..." Anders said, exhausted, as Ingrid walks up next to him. "Yeah, me too..." She said. "Let's try to go to bed early tonight, okay?" He asked her. "Yes! Please! And no weed." She tells him.
"Mmmmm, it kinda helps me sleep." Anders said to her while Finn turns to the rest of us.

"All right, who's ready for another great day at the office?" He asked, excitedly. "Shut uuup!" Hannah groans in annoyance. "Ooooo, somebody doesn't want to be employee of the month!" Finn said as he and the others walk towards the greenhouse.

"I'm sooo fucking tired!" I groaned to Sean as I stretch my arms out then Big Joe whacks me on the back of my head. "Stop your bitching or get outta here..." he yelled at me as I rub the back of my head with my hand. "HEY! Jeez..." I said as Sean steps up and said. "Hey, come on, that's not cool!" 
Big Joe then shoves Sean backwards. "Sean!" I exclaimed as Big Joe walks up to Sean. "Uh, are you really shit talking me, Cheech? Huh?" He said and Sean glares up at him. "Sean, please....don't worry." I said and he looks over at me then sighs. Big Joe points at Sean, then walks away.

"Hey, you're gonna get us kicked out of here." Cassidy growls as I help Sean up. "Well, I just wanted to..." Sean said but I place my hand on his shoulder. "I appreciate what you were trying to do, Sean. But I don't want you to get hurt over me." I said then I reach out and pushed aside his bangs, as they were now so long they could cover his eyes. "Bro, that guy would have beat you down." Daniel said as Cassidy rolls her eyes and walks away.

Sean, Daniel, and I walk into the greenhouse and join the rest of the drifters, Merrill standing there at the front. "Oh, thanks for coming. I'm not in your way, right?" Merrill asked us. "No, no, we're sorry, we-we just..." Cassidy stammer about Merrill talks over her. "You don't get paid to be late. Next time, you won't be." He growls and Cassidy glares at Sean.

"Listen up, I need two teams today. Finn, Penny, Anders, and whats-your-name will clean up the mess from the storm." Merrill said as Jake briefly waves to acknowledge that Merrill is referring to him. "The rest of you get to sit and trim." He ordered. "Girls gotta sit on their asses while the males are outside...yeah, right on!" Cassidy grumbles.

"Like I wanna go pick up a bunch of shit all over the camp..." Penny said. "Hey, you wanna trade places?" Daniel asked him. "Shut up, Daniel." Sean growls at him while Penny smiles at Daniel. "You got a deal, kid!" He said and Daniel jumps up and down for joy. "Yeah! I get to go outside!" He exclaims.

"HEY! You guys still don't get it. This is work, not a fuckin' summer camp. You're not special. There are dozens of hippies like yourselves begging for work at the next town." Merrill said then he walks over to Daniel. "Kid, your dad should teach you to shut your mouth." He said and Daniel looks at the ground. I glare over at Merrill as he looks over at Finn. "Finn, you better watch your guys." He said. "Of course, Boss! No problem." Finn replied, happily. "Okay, so move it!" He orders. "Yeah! You heard the man! Stop fucking around and get in your teams! All right?" Big Joe yells and the other began to leave the greenhouse.

As Sean and I attempt to exit, Merrill holds us back. "Hold up. The three of us are gonna talk." He said and I gulped at this. This can't be good. I thought as Big Joe leaves. Then Merrill turns to us. "Remember, I'm only letting both of you and your brother work here because Finn put in a good word." Merrill said to us. "We know. We really appreciate it, thanks--" Sean said.

"Yeah, yeah, no ass kissing please. Just watch out. Next time your brother fucks up, you three are gone asap. Look. I'm not trying to bust your balls, but this is a pot farm and he's a fucking kid. You two hear me?" He asked. "Got it." Sean and I said in unison. "We'll keep him out of the way." I said. "You better. This business has enough shit already." He said.