Chapter Five, Part I

Halle: The Lost Queen

Dawn broke across the pale blue sky, an egg cracking to reveal the golden yolk of the sun. Thin clouds drifted through its shimmering rays, wispy tendrils dancing about like fawns in the spring. The scent of pine seeped through the cracked window, an inviting aroma that promised festivities. The smell mingled with the stale air of Dunhelm Keep. It tickled the nose of the slumbering princess until her eyes fluttered open.

Halle stretched in her bed and sat up. Today was the day everything would change. Today, she would be married. The thought of it all made her stomach clench. She sat up and reached for the covers, jerking them up around her chin as if to protect herself. Clive Palisade was a harsh man, but he would be kind to her. He needed to be gruff in front of his men, but she could warm his heart. Things would work out. Halle had to believe that. She just had to.

Sighing, she threw the blanket off and rose. Tiptoeing to the wash basin residing on a rickety stand, Halle dipped her fingers into the icy water and splashed some droplets onto her cheeks. The maid Clive had sent to her, Dot, promised to come and find her at dawn. Many preparations had to be made for the wedding that would happen at night. It was believed in Verlic that night was the best time to achieve the favor of the Black Stag the Victor of the Forest. Halle wasn't sure of many of their customs, but she did know that nature was a prevalent theme. With that said, Halle hoped she wasn't expected to dress up as some spruce tree or a mountain goat for the wedding.

A rap on the door made her head turn. She stood up straight and smoothed the skirt of her grey nightgown. "Come in," she called.

The knob was turned, and Dot slipped inside, her head bowed. Her golden hair was puled back into a loose bun. Curls fell on either side of her oval face, sticking to her freckled cheeks from sweat. Her face was flushed, and her azure eyes were ringed with red. The girl had been working hard, probably since before daybreak, and she still had much to do. She scowled at Halle's appearance.

The princess glanced down at her shabby socks and ratty gown. It was her favorite thing to sleep in, bringing her comfort as a gift from her brother, Dominic, a long time ago in Rodantha. She gripped the end of the skirt protectively.

"We have much to do, Your Grace." Dot looked Halle up and down. "Much to do."

Halle released the skirt and clasped her hands together. "What must I do?" she asked helpfully.

Dot nodded toward the copper tub in the corner of the room. It peeked out from behind an ancient room divider. "Bathe in the herbs of the highlands while I prepare your other things," the girl told her. "I will fetch the water for your bath." She turned to go, but Halle caught her arm.

"Surely you could ask one of the male servants to get the water?" she asked. "There are many steps, and I know that bucket will be heavy."

Dot fixed her with a puzzled look. "We have no male servants here, Highness. The king sent them away some time ago. He didn't wish to be threatened by them."

Halle's brow furrowed. "That's ridiculous," she blurted out. "The Watchmen are here aren't they?"

"Not for much longer," Dot said as she darted toward the door. "Thank the gods," she murmured as she slid out into the hall and shut the door behind her.

Halle frowned. From what she had seen of the king's Watchmen, they were obedient men who smoothly followed orders. Weren't they supposed the protect the realm? Why the disdain in Dot's voice? She wanted to know.

After about ten minutes, the princess strode to the door and flung it open just in time to see Bruce Palisade lugging a wooden bucket up the stairs with rolled up sleeves. Water sloshed over the sides and onto the stone floor. Since he was not looking at her, the princess studied him momentarily. His mismatched eyes, one blue and one green, had been hidden in shadow when she'd first met him. Now, they were stark in the light of dawn, standing out against his pale skin. Dark bags clung to the skin beneath his eyes. Had he been having trouble sleeping? Bruce looked up, catching Halle's eyes. Instantly she flushed at being caught staring. Without thinking, she slammed the door shut and rushed away to the far corner of the room.