Chapter 11; Questioned

(A/N: Play the media for more effect.)

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

Standing at the edge of a cliff,

You have to make the choice.

Do you jump or not?

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

Sakura is led into a room on the top floor of T&I by Yamanaka Inoichi. The older man maintains a blank expression as he escorts her to a section in the back of the building labeled 'Evaluations.' Like any good gentleman, he opens the door under the sign and allows her to walk in first. There's a hall of doors, each one simply labeled by number. Next to each door is a hook with two small placks - red and green - which indicate if the room is occupied or not.

"Head to the last door on the left," Inoichi tells her quietly. "The evaluator is already inside."

Sakura nods. "Thank you for escorting me, Inoichi-san." As she beings to walk forward, Ino's dad calls out to her.

"If, at any point, you feel uncomfortable or wish to stop the evaluation," he starts, "press the button on the right arm of your chair and someone will be there immediately to escort you out of the room."

"Thank you for letting me know," Sakura says over her shoulder. "Have a good day, Inoichi-san."

"You as well, Sakura."

Even so, she feels eyes on her all the way until she opens the door and walks inside. One look around the room and she rolls her eyes. There are scattered pictures on the wall of nature and toys on the floor. A single mirror, unseeing to the other side, takes up most of the wall across from the door. The walls are stark white but the table is a deep brown color with matching plush chairs. Across from her, waiting patiently in his seat, is a Yamanaka with hair closer to Inoichi's than any other Yamanaka she has ever seen.

"Welcome, Sakura-san. I hope your morning has been pleasant thus far. Please have a seat."

"Better than most mornings, I suppose." The relaxed look on his face switches to calculative.

"What makes you say this?"

Are we jumping immediately into it? Sakura takes a seat in the chair closest to the evaluator and politely rests her hands in her lap. On top of the table, directly in front of the Yamanaka, is three separate papers and a clipboard. Instead of attempting to read them, Sakura looks at the evaluator expectantly. Her fingers clutch the bottom of her shirt underneath the table.

"Sometimes, if I go to bed really tired, I wake up confused because I'm not at home. It takes me a few moments to be aware of my surroundings and realize that I don't currently have a home." She doesn't speak in a bitter tone. Her tone is essentially neutral. "Today was different because I woke knowing I'd be here. Hence, a better morning."

"Oh?" The Yamanaka briefly looks genuinely surprised. "I can honestly say that you're one of very few who have said that." He picks up one of the papers, looks it over, and then hands it to her. "In a moment, I'm going to let you read this and then sign it if you agree. For right now, I'm going to explain a few things." His expression turns serious. "First, this evaluation needs to be 100% consensual on your part. The only exception is by order of the Hokage. You are here because you choose to be here, correct?"

Sakura nods.

"Second, you have to answer all the questions I ask you honestly. While you did spend some years in-between the homes of your friends, you primarily stayed in the Haruno Compound and cared for yourself. Do you know what this means?"