Chapter 10; Meeting Yamato

(A/N: Play the media for more effect.)

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

New faces, same problems.

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

His name is Yamato and only that. She and her teammates have been instructed to called him "Yamato-sensei" because he is now a "subset sensei" of their team. Kakashi calls him an "assistant" and Yamato answers back with an annoyed "senpai" which causes Kakashi's visible eyebrow to twitch in agitation. There's obvious history between them, Yamato seems just a few years younger than their sensei. Sakura recognizes the comfortable way they lean towards each other in spite of remaining professional.

"For much of our time together as Team Seven, Yamato-sensei will be present." Kakashi nods towards the other man. "He is proficient in taijutsu and earth-style based jutsu. You will respect him as your sensei. In the case that I am absent for whatever reason, you will follow his orders. Am I understood?"

"Yes, sensei."

Kakashi nods; satisfied. "For the next month, give or take a week or two, you will be following a rigorous training schedule. This is to prepare you three for the chunin exams set to take place by the end of May." He looks at each of them individually, but his eyes linger on her for a moment.

We are not doing this today, sensei. I am fine!

"What are the chunin exams?" Naruto asks, but the reality is that he knows what they are. Sakura knows the bare minimum of what the exams entail and Naruto only offered up the tiniest bit of information so the three of them can play along with Kakashi's charade of "mystery."

"Ah, well, that's an easy one. It tests your skills. If you pass the exams, you're almost guaranteed promotion to chunin." He says this in a sort of mocking tone as if this is an obvious thing. Sakura cocks an eyebrow at his tone. Well, she and the boys did want to mess around with their sensei.

"What does becoming chunin entail for us, sensei?" Sasuke asks this, head tilted to the side in an innocent manner and tone bordering on that of child-like curiosity. Out of the corner of her eye, Sakura sees Yamato cough into his fist with his head turned away. Still, there's a barely-there smile on his face. She almost sends an amused smile his way but refrains from doing so.

This is all fun and games after all.

"Advanced missions, for starters. With higher ranked missions comes higher pay," Kakashi answers easily, still in the mocking sort of voice. "C-Rank and some B-Rank missions depending on your particular skill set. Although, most first-year chunin are stuck with desk duty among other smaller forms of work. Still, it's better than completing D-Ranks missions."

"What sort of C-Rank and B-Rank missions?" Sakura asks with hands clasped behind her back as she bounces slightly back and forth on her feet. "Are they very difficult? What sort of supplies would be needed for a typical B-Rank mission?" She's being purposefully obtuse.

Kakashi chuckles. "You three are cute but you're wasting time."

"But they have questions, senpai. We must answer them to the best of our ability."

I think I'll like Yamato-sensei.

"What sort of B-Rank missions do you go on?!" Naruto asks with faux excitement.

"That's classified."

Sakura turns away and giggles. Yamato makes such a solemn face that Naruto actually backs up a couple of feet. She looks at Sasuke next to her, sees his smirk, and relaxes. Yamato is going to fit right in with them, sarcasm and all, and with the way he plays around...it could be really interesting.