Chapter 1

June let you stay at the inn for the next few weeks, making excuses to the other staff that you were her assistant. With daily treatments, your wound was healing nicely. June treated you like you were her daughter. She taught you how to sew and embroider, and make pieces of clothing, as well as to cook; she took you out into the forest and showed you what was edible, what was poisonous, and what could be used for healing. She even had her son, Edwin, teach you how to make and use a bow and arrow, and with much persuasion from him, how to fight with a sword (June was quite hesitant about you using a sword, but Edwin insisted on it). Most importantly, she gave you confidence in yourself.

You told her everything about Denethor, and about each scar he gave you. There was no reason he scarred you, apart from quenching his sadistic hunger. He told you that your parents abandoned you as a baby, and that he was the one who took you in; you were not keen on believing that though. After June had patched you up the night you arrived, you found that the pouch the boy had given you was full of coins, all of which June declined and told you to keep them for yourself. You promised yourself that someday you would thank that boy for saving your life. June told you of the death of her husband; he died when Edwin was a baby, by an army of orcs. Her and her husband left the Shire after they married, and ran the inn together, and since he was killed Edwin took his place to help her.

Weeks turned into months, which turned into years. June was now in her 80s, and you had grown into a tall, stunning she-elf. You had outgrown both June and Edwin; they came up to your waist. June could not move as easily anymore, and so you worked at the inn alongside Edwin, who was a brotherly figure to you.

Edwin was recently married, with a child on the way. He and his wife were looking for someplace to live in together, although June kept insisting that they stay at the inn. Many times Edwin introduced you to possible partners, all of whom you declined.

"My dear Thia," Edwin would sigh, placing his hands on his hips. "All of them are honourable men! Yes, they may be half your size but why not give them a chance?" You laughed and shook your head.

"My dear Edwin," you would mock. "I respect that they are honourable in their own ways, but I am not looking for a love life right now."

"Plus, all your friends eye Thia down like she's a meal, rather than a woman!" June added. You blinked at her with your mouth slightly open. "Don't act oblivious to it, my dear! I've seen them stare at your bosoms and your behind a handful of times!" she raised her eyebrows and looked at you over her specs. Your face heated up and your crossed your arms over your chest.

"Granny!"

"You are a blessed woman, Thia. Be proud of it." she pursed her lips into a cheeky little grin, winking at you. Edwin rolled his eyes.

"Ma, my friends aren't like that." he grumbled at her. You let out a laugh. Your heart felt warm, and you couldn't be any happier.

- - -

"Thia! Thia! Wake up!" Edwin's panicked voice dragged you from your slumber. You opened your eyes, seeing his blurred figure above you, and a bright orange light behind him. "Thia! We have to go!" He pulled you onto your feet and hurriedly strapped your bow, arrows and sword to your sleepy body. Once you finally woke up, you heard people screaming, smoke filled the air and orange light flickered all around you.

"What in the name-"

"We've been attacked by dwarf bandits!" he said quickly and pulled you out the room.

"Where's Granny!" you shouted over the noise.

"She's with my wife helping the customers get out safely." he replied, placing his hand on the handle of his sword.