Chapter Twelve: A Rare Find

Start from the beginning

He checked his screen, pressing the button to answer the call. "Hey Lucas, what's going on," he said before turning away from us to actually take the call.

Chase looked over at me, his face growing a little serious. "Do you mind? I mean, I know it's a little fast but I really like you, Eliza. If I went around just calling you my friend, people might get ideas."

"What kind of ideas?" I asked not really understanding what sort of ideas people would get that would require some kind of protection from him.

"Ideas about asking you out," he said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Oh. Those kind of ideas. I cocked my head to the side a little as I looked at him, "Really? You think so?"

"Yeah, really." He rolled his eyes and stepped a little closer so he was just a few inches away from me. "Seeing as how I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, I figured you'd at least give me the chance to shoot myself in the foot before letting the other clowns in town get a chance. You know, to date you...." He trailed off, still looking at me.

This was a little weird for me. It was nice hanging out with him, and kissing him was even nicer, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to be anyone's girlfriend just yet. That came with certain expectations I wasn't really ready to explore, no matter what had happened earlier with Dante. I wasn't that kind of girl - it just wasn't me.

"I don't know, Chase. I mean, I don't usually date....I haven't really...um, this is all kind of new to me, you know?" Why was this so difficult? Chase was a nice guy; surely he'd understand that I wasn't really ready to be anyone's girlfriend.

Chase grinned. "That's cool. I haven't really dated that many girls either, but I really like you, Eliza. I'd like to spend more time with you. You don't have to be my girlfriend, but I'd like for us to be friends. Is that okay?"

I nodded and smiled, feeling the tension in my body dissipate. He was so laid back, so easy to talk to. I felt like I could really be myself around him. "Yeah, I'm definitely okay with that," I answered honestly.

His dad finished his call and walked back over. He was putting his phone back into his shirt pocket when he looked at his son and asked, "So Chase, what did Ms. Devillier want?"

"My aunt?"

"Yeah, Celeste called earlier asking for me to send Chase over. We were kind of swamped this morning so it took a while. Isn't that where you kids came from?" he asked now looking from me to Chase.

"You really were on your way over to the shop?" I whispered a little surprised. He'd said he was coming over to see me, I hadn't figured he'd actually needed to go to the store to talk to Aunt Celeste.

Chase looked a little taken aback, as if he'd forgotten the whole reason he'd headed over to the store in the first place.

I looked at his dad, "I'm sorry, Mr. Crawford...Justin. My aunt just got a big delivery from an estate sale when Chase came by. She was so busy, I just asked Chase if he knew where I could get something to drink while her and Dante got everything lined out." I shrugged and blushed a little, "She doesn't trust me with the inventory since I broke a few pieces earlier in the week. Anyway, I figured Chase could walk me back later to see what she needed. You know how she gets," I said hoping it was the right thing to say.

Chase's dad laughed and nodded. "Oh yeah, I know how your aunt can get. Probably best to head back a little later on then. I swear, that woman has the patience of a wet cat. She's about as friendly as one, too," he winked at me.

"I told Eliza she had to try a real Crawford root-beer float," Chase said now, changing the subject.

His dad laughed again. "They're the best in central Missouri."