xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hours had passed and there was still no sign of them. Magneto had searched the docks, the streets surrounding the docks, and even the bars on the streets surrounding the docks. Mystique and Angel had disappeared like they'd decided to dive into the depths of the ocean.

The other mutants handled searches of their own, splitting up to improve their chances. At least, that's what Magneto assumed. Since being teleported off the Cassandra, he hadn't seen Azazel, Emma or Riptide. He finally gave up and hot-wired a random car to get around the city. A deep, unsettling anxiety was rustling around in his gut, and he knew it had nothing to do with Angel and Mystique's disappearance.

Nonetheless, he continued searching. Angel especially enjoyed spending time on the mainland, and there were thousands of places she and Mystique could have ended up before Hank, Alex and Sean had spotted them. It was like trying to find a shard of glass in a bucket of ice.

Close to three in the morning, and Magneto had ventured away from Long Beach and into Los Angeles. Driving in his stolen vehicle, his anger deepened. Something was happening—his band of mutants were plotting.

Then, out of nowhere, Azazel teleported into the car.

Magneto didn't hesitate. "Where the hell have you been?" he asked.

"We've found them," Azazel said and then the red cloud engulfed them both.

Emma was already there in the parking lot of the Castlebrook Warehouse, her hands on her hips like she'd been waiting for a year. As the cloud of red cleared, Magneto swiftly noticed that it wasn't just Angel and Mystique missing in action. He frowned.

"Where's Riptide?" Magneto asked.

"I couldn't find him," Azazel said. "He must be searching further than I realized."

Magneto studied the man. "Is that so?"

"That is so, comrade."

It was subtle, but Magneto noticed it. The slightest bit of hesitation tinged Azazel's features. Magneto opened his mouth to question the other man when Emma reached out a hand. She gripped down on his sleeve.

"There." She nodded straight ahead.

From the side of Castlebrook, three figures stepped out of the shadows. Even in the dim emergency lights from the warehouse, the men's uniforms were bright enough to see the blue and yellow. In the center was Hank McCoy, his blue fur waving in the nighttime air.

Without another word, Magneto stepped forward. Emma and Azazel followed closely behind and within a few seconds, the two groups faced each other. Hank, Sean and Alex had their hands balled into fists.

This was not going to be pleasant.

"Where's Mystique and Angel?" Magneto asked.

"Safe," Hank replied, trying to sound as menacing as he appeared.

Magneto glanced at Emma. The woman maintained her impassive features, but her eyes had focused. Deep in concentration, it was clear she was already trying to read the other mutants' minds. As she continued, however, her focus shifted to frustration and she turned to Magneto.

"They've taken them out of the city," she explained. "But I can't pinpoint where. There's winding roads—a cabin. They—they took turns driving around until they found a place. I can't sort it out."

Magneto brought his attention back to the other men. "Clever."

"Thank you," Hank replied.

"So, now what?" Magneto asked. "Are they being held for ransom? Do you intend to torture them until we cave? A bit gruesome for you three."

"Just give us Charles," Hank said, "and we'll let Angel and Raven go."

"That's not an option."

"Then, we have a problem," Hank came back. "We're not leaving without him."

"We'll return Charles once we're done."

"That's not good enough, Erik."

"I wasn't looking for your approval."

The other man growled. Across from each other, both groups of mutants had tensed. From Azazel's back, the red man withdrew a long scimitar sword. Emma circled the three men. Hank and the other two men eyed her, clearly waiting for an attack.

"I don't want any of this," Magneto told them.

Hank's yellow eyes glared at him. "Bring Charles here now."

"No."

With that single word, it began. From Alex, a flash of red surged from around his chest. Magneto had half a second to react; with his power, he ripped the hood off a nearby Pontiac and hurled it between himself and the other man. The blast was still too strong. Suddenly, the car's hood was shoved just inches from Magneto's face—he dropped back, flinging the burnt metal away.

Through the rest of the lot, things had already gotten out of hand. With his claws extended, Hank slashed at Azazel the same instant the other man brought up his sword. Sean was half-kneeling on the ground. He clutched his head like his skull was about to explode. In front of him, Emma had a hand extended, a confident glint in her intense blue eyes.

Another red blast erupted. Emma didn't have time to react like Magneto, and immediately found herself shoved backwards by several feet. She toppled; a groan escaped her lips.

Sean got up—tossed a gaze to Magneto. He inhaled.

Magneto jerked his hands. Around him, bits of debris—from metal coins on the ground to the side panels of Castlebrook's warehouse—went soaring. From Sean, a sonic boom rolled from his lips.

Within the banshee scream, the metal bits flying towards him dropped to the ground like insects hit with poison. The large metal panels came soaring; Sean reeled around. He opened his mouth.

Magneto took the advantage. With another swipe of his hand, a chunk of scrap metal from a nearby dumpster sprang into the air. It soared towards its target; it clipped Sean in the shoulder. With a shout, Sean spun around before slamming to the ground.

Another glowing red beam flared towards Magneto. Gasping, he dived to his stomach as the streak of light roared past him. He extended a hand; he felt the metal on Alex's chest plate heated with energy. He shoved the other man hard to the ground.

With that, Magneto spun his gaze to Azazel. "Get Riptide!" he shouted.

As Hank knocked the sword from the red man's hands, Azazel teleported. He reappeared a heartbeat later behind Hank, but the beast-man wouldn't have it. Gripping his hands to Azazel's arms, he flung the other man forward.

And it continued.

"Azazel!" Magneto shouted. "Get Riptide. Now!"

The other man shot a glare to Magneto the same instant his tail twisted around Hank's left wrist. Shooting Hank into the air, the teleporter suddenly disappeared and didn't materialize again. Hank twisted around, and dropped to the pavement on his hands and enlarged feet. Eyes trained on Erik, a snarl escaped his lips.

Sucking in a breath, Magneto heaved himself off the ground and then summoned another batch of metal to his command.

End of Chapter