Epilogue

"Earth to Captain Rogers."

"Go ahead."

Tony looked at him. "You didn't hear a single thing I just said, did you?"

Steve opened his mouth to respond then shut it.

"Sorry, Tony. Could you repeat that last bit?"

"I asked what you thought about these people."

Steve looked at the screen. There was a picture of a surly looking woman in a leather jacket, a man in a red devil suit and a question mark next to a description that stated "man with unbreakable skin."

"I don't know, Tony."

"My God, man. Get your head out of the clouds for one second. I know it's a big day for you and all, but I need someone to give me a goddamn answer on this. I can't make this decision myself."

Steve looked at Tony. "I meant, I don't know about them joining the team. They don't look like team players to me."

"No shit."

Steve flinched. Tony had been trying to expand the Avengers initiative. So far, his picks had been citizens who, through one way or another, had acquired superpowers.

The most promising lead was the guy in the devil suit. Steve smiled to himself at the irony.

Tony sighed. "Fine. I'll go back to the drawing board."

He swiped left, and the identity cards disappeared. He pulled something else up. Steve checked his watch.

"Go," Tony said without looking up.

"Thanks, Tony.

Tony didn't reply.

Steve stood up and moved towards the door.

"Tell her I say hi," Tony called out.

***

Alina was standing in the same room as Peggy Carter. Her stomach had been doing non-stop twists since she landed on the Avengers compound and saw Steve waiting for her in the hangar.

They had been planning this visit for weeks, and though her now bi-continental life meant that she was frequently flying back and forth, it was all worth it, the moment she saw Steve's open face and irresistible grin.

She hardly had time to change and freshen up after she landed. Before she knew it, they were off again, back in the jet, heading towards Washington, D.C.

Now, in this softly lit room, Alina hung back as she watched Steve patiently explain to Peggy how he had returned. Steve warned her that Peggy had late-stage Alzheimer's, but with limited knowledge of the disease, Alina did not know what to expect. She had to choke back tears when she saw how Peggy cried when she realized Steve was by her bed.

Alina watched as the two of them talked, and Peggy reminisced about the life she had lived with her family. She looked at the two pictures encased in the silver frames on the bedside table. Peggy looked happy in those pictures and yet...Her heart broke when she saw Steve and Peggy together. They were meant to be together, and life had robbed them of that opportunity. Alina took a deep breath in and swallowed the deep, multilayered grief in her heart.

"And who is this then?" Peggy said, shifting her gaze to Alina.

"This is Alina," Steve said softly.

Alina offered a tentative smile. The older woman looked at her for a moment then at Steve. Her eyes twinkled, and she smiled back. Alina let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding. She felt a tear of relief fall on her cheek.