Part 6

The next morning, Alina woke up sweating. She was having an intense dream about Steve. They had been kissing, their tongues matched in battle, their bodies in heat...

She tried blinking the dream away for a few moments. She had another long day ahead liaising with more potential donors and finishing up the presentation Steve had sent yesterday evening.

She turned around on her side. She needed to get those images out of her head if she stood any chance of functioning today. She stood up and rummaged in her jewelry case, taking out a small silver bullet. She went into the bathroom and ran a hot bath. The hotter, the better. She turned on her vibrator and got to work.

***

Steve woke up in an excellent mood. He had spent last night eating dinner with the team as they briefed him on the Switzerland mission. They would be leaving the compound for the next two days headed for Europe. Usually, he would have insisted on accompanying the team for fear of being alone in the compound with no mission. His mind tended to drift to unwanted places when he was alone here. But he wasn't alone. Not this time. When Nat told him the news, he felt his heart skip a beat.

Sam must have noticed something because he started in on him when they did the dishes together. Steve hadn't minded the teasing so much. For the first time in a long time, he felt his heart was lighter, the shadows in his mind further away.

He brushed his hair, looking at the time on his watch. It was almost nine a.m. He put on his clothes, selecting a grey t-shirt. He knew the effect his t-shirts had on Alina. Ever so often, he would catch her raking him over with her eyes. He grinned, putting the shirt on and went out the door, making his way to the Quinjet hangar.

When he got there, he saw Natasha, Wanda, and Sam packing their things into the Quinjet.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" Nat remarked. Wanda smiled at him.

"I'm sure everyone knows the answer to that," Sam said.

Steve smiled good-naturedly at his friend.

"No comeback? Damn, you've got it bad, Cap."

"Who's got what bad?" Vision said, entering the jet with Rhodes.

"Stevie's in love," Sam said, jerking his thumb over at him. Steve choked slightly at the word. Rhodes grinned his way.

"Leave him alone, Sam," Wanda said.

"Yeah, leave me alone, Sam. Can't a guy be happy around here without having to answer for it?"

"Nope," Sam said.

"Sam, get your butt up here," Nat called out from the front of the jet.

Sam smirked and moved to the front. Steve smiled his thanks to Wanda for her solidarity.

"OK, team. It's time to get going," Nat announced. "Steve, we'll let you know when we've landed in Switzerland. Expect an update in four to five hours."

"Will do. Good luck, team. I'll miss you guys."

"Liar," Sam called out from the front.

Nat smiled at him. He walked out of the jet and watched it lift off vertically and zoom off like lightning into the air.

***

It was one of those days Steve had entirely to himself. No missions, no training, no paperwork. In the past, he would have spent all day exercising, trying to run from or punch out the strange, dark thoughts that lived in his head. Today, he decided he was going to make the most of his day.