CHAPTER 6 - The Town Council

When she arrived at the free clinic with Osman, Sanem was surprised to see that Ahmet and Mehmet were already there, sat at one of the tables in the cafeteria, discussing. She had not found them on the way and had only been able to catch Osman who had been with the other hunters coming back from the day's hunting. He had immediately understood the matter and excused himself while he went with his friend to the clinic.

"What are you all doing here?" Remide Teyze scolded them as she entered the cafeteria. "So much for calling for discretion! And there we have our Daydreamer and three Defenders, not counting this one" she said as she motioned Bulut coming behind her "all coming to see me in day light!"

Sanem blushed. She hadn't thought about it but she couldn't wait so much time knowing Can wasn't safe. "How is he?"

"Resting." Remide Teyze answered as she poured herself a cup of tea.

"Did he wake up? Did he say anything?"

"He did. He said that he actually wanted to come here."

"He did? Why?"

"He said he is a photographer."

"How does he even know Mahalle?" Osman asked.

"Who doesn't know Mahalle Osman?" Remide Teyze raised an eyebrow at him. "He said he wanted to take pictures of the town for a magazine."

"We don't need it." Ahmet said.

"That's what I said."

"Did he say anything else?" Sanem asked again.

"Not that I remember. Just some chitchat." Remide Teyze answered. "But he asked about you."

Sanem felt her heart jump in her chest and her cheeks reddening. "Oh! Really? And what did he ask?" She tried to sound detached but she knew she was failing when she saw the small smirk on Osman's face making her blush even more.

"I told him that he'd better behave or he would never see you or hear you ever again." Bulut unexpectedly answered.

"Bulut ya! Why did you tell him that? It's not like he can hurt me or anything."

"You don't know that. What if he lied?"

"What if he didn't?"

"You can't just trust everyone you meet Sanem."

"I know that! But you can't go on threatening people either!"

"I just do what I think is right for people here!"

"You..."

"Yeter!" Remide Teyze exclaimed as both Sanem and Bulut had started to raise their voices and were practically pouncing on each other. "Sanem. Bulut is right. We cannot trust him. We haven't let any strangers in our town for almost twenty years. You were all too young to remember but it was a sad and bad time for the town when we decided to take that decision. We can't just overlook two decades just for one man who was crazy enough to think he could come and take pictures of us like we were some kind of a show."

"I'm sure he didn't think -"Sanem interrupted.

"Maybe not. But that's the image he depicts." Remide Teyze continued. She sighed. "This man cannot stay here Sanem and you know it." Sanem nodded sheepishly. Remide Teyze then turned to the black-haired man who was looking so proud of himself at the moment. "Bulut, don't think you have nothing to be blamed for though. Sanem was right when she said that you can't go on threatening people."

"Ama Remide Teyze..."

"Sus! I am not saying that it wasn't justified this time. I was there, I know it was. But you should try to loosen up a little son. Not everything is ever white and black. You need to learn this." Bulut frowned but didn't say anything.