CHAPTER 5 - The Mentor

Once inside the house, Sanem gave a huge smile to the man standing in front of her. He was an older man in his sixties with greyish hair and big blue eyes. He responded to Sanem's smile with one of his familiar ones that made the corners of his eyes crinkle happily. He hugged Sanem for a few seconds.

"Welcome kizim!"

"Thank you Aziz bey!"

"You haven't come in a long time! How are you?"

"I'm... good. Thank you."

Aziz looked at her for a second before he led her to the sitting area. She sat on one of the white cushioned sofas as he took place in front of her in another one. "I assume you came to see her?" Sanem nodded silently. "Hayatim! Sanem is here!" He called.

A few moments later, wiping her hands on a towel, a little woman appeared from the door leading to their backyard area. She had long brown hair that cascaded above her shoulder and sparkling brown eyes that lit up when she saw her little protégée. "Sanem!" She exclaimed as she opened her arms wide ready to engulf the young woman into her arms.

"Mihriban Abla!" Sanem smiled as she got up to meet the older woman. They both embraced tightly before – totally out of the blue – Sanem started crying against Mihriban's shoulder. She felt powerful sobs shaking her body as tears streamed down her face, releasing all the tensions she had bottled up for weeks now.

"Oh tatlim! Shhh everything will be alright." Mihriban whispered trying to soothe her while she caressed Sanem's hair and back. "Do you want to talk about it?" She felt Sanem shake her head before she straightened up again. Mihriban led her to the couch while she threw a look at Aziz to bring something to drink.

Aziz soon came back with a trail carrying three glasses of cold lemonade. He gave one to Sanem who was only sniffling by then, one for Mihriban and excused himself out with his. The cold beverage soothed Sanem and she apologized for crying that way.

"What apologies Sanem for God's sake?" Mihriban frowned. "It's normal to let loose sometimes. We all need it." Sanem lowered her gaze on her laps again as she stayed silent. "Do you want to talk to me?" Sanem nodded. "What happened?"

Sanem closed her eyes, breathing in deeply before she faced Mihriban. "I don't know if I can be the Daydreamer any more."

_ _ _

Can felt like he had been thrown from a bridge and into cold water. His whole body was sore and moving made him wince. He couldn't see as he still had the cloth on his eyes so he tried to take it off. He was stopped by two small hands on his wrists. He stilled for a moment.

"Don't take them off please." A calm woman voice said next to him. Her voice sounded a bit raspy, like the voice of an older woman. "I know it must be uncomfortable not to see but it's for your safety. And ours."

Can dropped his hands to his sides. He didn't like not being able to see but he didn't want to cause trouble either. Besides, he didn't really have the strength to fight any person that would threaten him. "Where am I?" Can asked the woman.

She stayed silent a moment, clearly debating whether or not to tell him. "In Mahalle."

Can felt his heart beat faster as he started smiling. He had made it! He had reached Mahalle. Not alone technically but it was still more than what some had been able to do.

"Why are you smiling? Did you want to come here?"

"Yes. I was looking for this town."

"Why?"

"I am a photographer. I was commissioned to come and take pictures of the town and the rainforest for a magazine."

The woman didn't speak for a moment and Can even thought that she had left the room. He was almost startled when he heard her voice again. "Strangers are not welcome here."