Nine

Crossroads | Chapter Nine

"Did you do it?" I questioned Chaquelle as he sat before my desk leaning back in the chair with his feet up. This is my third time asking him today and I was getting tired of him refusing to answer me. It was making me suspicious of if he was really out for Malachi's blood. I had to get to the bottom of whatever the hell was going on between those two because I had no intention on messing up the relationship I shared with the both of them.

"Do what? Cause if you asking about what happened to that nigga Malachi last night I ain't have shit to do with it. Now would you quit bugging."

"Not until you tell why you have it out for him?"

He chuckled and placed his feet onto the ground, "So, that's what this nigga told you, huh? I got it out for his ass. How about you ask him about the shit he do behind closed doors. You keep fucking with him you're going to end up hurt."

"How? You keep giving me half of a fucking story and expect me to put the pieces together. I like you as a friend, Chaquelle, and I like Malachi as more than a friend and if the two of you won't pull it together I'm leaving both of y'all asses where the hell I left y'all."

I stood from my bed and walked toward my mirror that rested against my closet door. I had an hour to get ready for work and I was growing annoyed of this bullshit cycle they were putting me through. I carefully began to go over the sew-in with my heated flat irons. I planned to keep this in for a good three weeks and then I would take it down.

"Look, I'm not trying to keep you in the middle of our bullshit. I swear I ain't have nothing to do with it." He spun the chair around and watched me style my hair. I caught his gaze in the mirror and held it for a moment. I couldn't help but to believe him, and for a second I thought about what he said to me at the dance. I wondered if he really did mean every word or was it just a spare of the moment situation. It didn't matter much because I was too afraid to ask. I was too afraid to give my hopes up.

"I'm going to find out if you're lying to me, but for now I'm going to take your word for it."

He scratched the back of his neck and cocked his head to the side, "About last night. I know I said some shit that might change your mind about our friendship, but...."

"It's cool, Chaquelle. I know it was just the liquor talking. We can just put it behind us. Besides, there could never be a me and you."

He got up from his seat and stood behind me. His strong arms wrapped around my torso as he rested his head on my shoulder staring at me through the mirror. "What if it was my true feelings that I was speaking on last night? Or better yet, what if I left Milan for you?"

I rolled my eyes and shrugged him off of my shoulders. Anxiously, I slammed the flat irons down onto my dresser."Do you think this is a fucking game? To play with someone's heart. That girl loves you. I can tell by the way she looks at you. If you wanted me as bad as you say you do she wouldn't even be a problem. I don't want to be anything more than your friend. I'm not that girl that's going to give up everything for someone that doesn't belong to me. You're not about to have your cake and eat it too. You must've thought I was born yesterday. I see right through your bullshit."

"This nigga got you wrapped around his finger already. Fuck he got that I don't."

"Go home." I said grabbing my red polo shirt from out of the closet.

"Ranella, I....."

"GO HOME!" I yelled cutting him off before he has the chance to speak again. He snatched his jacket from the back of the chair and stormed out. I heard the front door slam and let out a deep breath. I was not about to let him talk me into ruining a relationship I knew he wasn't ready to break off. I was more shocked that he even tried to run this game on me. Believe it or not, but I had way much more sense than people gave me credit for.