Six

Crossroads | Chapter Six

It's been a week since my encounter with Malachi. He was beginning to grow on me. We spent most of our last period talking about our next project for the newspaper. He was even generous enough to help me come up with titles for my fashion column. I sat next him, admiring the images he had taken of the football team. He had just developed them in the red room and they came out beautiful.

"Are you going to the homecoming game?" He asked studying his work. A slight pout rested on his lips. For the most part I had come to find out he was sincere. He was still a rude asshole, don't get me wrong, but it was just apart of who he was. In spite of it all, he was funny, caring, and about his business. He had just transferred to Eden High and managed to be at the top of his class. He took his education seriously and I praised him for it.

"I wasn't planning on it. It ain't really my type of scene."

He chuckled, "It ain't really mine either, but I got to get some good shots in for the paper. I was going to ask you to come keep me company. Maybe even chill with me at the dance?"

A slight glance up into his hooded black eyes immediately made my heart pulsate. I smiled, "If you're trying to ask me out then yes I would chill with you."

"Your man ain't gone be mad?" He asked referring to Chaquelle. We've been pretty tight too. I hung out with him and Milan a few times. They were an adorable couple, but a part of me wondered how long would that last. She was supposed to be joining our study session today. I thought she was too good for Chaquelle, yet I was too good for him myself. I still wanted him even though he was clearly in love with her. Her birthday was next week and he asked me to help him find the perfect gift for her. I was way in over my head knowing that I had this crush on him, yet putting myself into a predicament that would ultimately leave me hurt in the end. I guess that's why I've been trying to cling onto Malachi.

"He ain't my man. We're just friends." I shot back with a bit of attitude.

"I ain't trying to ride you, but you need to chill."

"Whatever Malachi." I rolled my eyes getting up from my seat to leave.

"Hit me up when you get that stick out your ass." He shouted as I was half-way out the door. We kind of had a love hate relationship going on. The both of us got too hung up on each other's words. He could be cold sometimes, but I always see myself running back to him. I didn't take his rudeness to heart since our first encounter, and he's become accustom to my smart remarks. We were just in our feelings. Mainly because I didn't want any unwanted attention from people eavesdropping. Eden High had ears to the streets and if rumors got back to Milan that I was messing with her man I'm sure drama would be knocking at my door.

On my way out of the building I ran into Leiyana. Her eyes were shuttered and she did her best not to notice me. I stood beside her and waited patiently for her to acknowledge my presence. "I caught him cheating, Nell." She slammed her locker and slid down to the floor with her books rested in her lap. I sat down next to her and allowed her to lay her head on my shoulder. The girls and I don't really see much of each other. We got our lives ahead of us and the drama we're carrying can sometimes be a burden.

I let her cry on my shoulders for a good ten minutes. I usually did my best to stay out of Yana's business because I knew nothing about what she was going through. Plus, she had Amari gunning at her already. I'm pretty sure that was enough stress on her plate. "He doesn't realize what he has. You're the best thing walking since sliced bread and he's willing to jeopardize that."

She attempted to smile, but her lips soon quivered and she burst out into tears. I could only imagine what it's like to give someone the world only for them to tear it all up in your face. That was the feeling I got when I thought about being in a romantic relationship with Chaquelle. Would he play with my heart like a violin, methodically making love to it until its strung out?