Chapter 53: Commercial Break

Mulai dari awal

Riley couldn’t help but smile, “Thanks! And guess what else they asked me to do?”

“You know I despise guessing games.”

“They want me to do their next magazine commercial.”

“Get out,” He exclaimed, excitement in his own voice. “That’s huge!”

 Riley couldn’t wipe the grin off her face. She would bet it was going to hang around for a few more hours at least. “I know! I need Paul’s number, though. If it wasn’t for him sending Mark a copy of the tape from the ‘Criminal’ music video, Marie Claire would have never offered it to me.”

“So Mark showed them the tape?”

Riley eyed her manager from the park bench. He was acting like was wasn’t listening but had a coy smile on his face. “Yeah the sneaky bastard set up the whole thing. The meeting, the commercial… But he won’t take the credit.”

“Yo, pass me over, I want to talk to him,” Marshall insisted.

Slightly concerned over any conversation those two had, she hesitantly passed the phone to Mark. He picked it up and didn’t say much. A bunch of ‘yeah okay’s and ‘no problem’s before passing to back to her. When she pressed the phone back to her ear, she could hear a ton of background noise.

“I gotta go, Riley. Paul told me he had some big news he wanted to tell me. Think it’s about the album I’ve been working on. So call me when your flight lands, okay?”

“Roger that,” She said in a stern voice.

She heard his smirk, and in a teasing voice he said, “You’re an idiot.”

She giggled, “You love me anyway.” After hanging up, she glanced at Mark who had an unreadable expression on his face. “What did he say to you?”

Mark sat back on the bench, stretching his palms out over his long legs. “He told me I was a dick for keeping everything in the dark and being all secretive.” Riley rolled her eyes. Typical Marshall. Then Mark almost seemed to smile. “Then he thanked me.” She raised a brow, surprised. Mark just laughed. “I know, I wasn’t expecting it either. “I think you have more of an effect on him that you think.”

Riley let out her breath, “He’s sure as hell affected me.”

Mark nodded, seriously. “You’ve really come out of your shell since you’ve been dating him. And it’s nice to see him not being a total prick.”

She shook her head and stood up, glancing around at the bustling strip of shops and offices. “Can we go shopping?”

Mark stood up beside her. “No,” He said firmly. “Shopping with you is the worst. You take forever. Christina is in and out in three minutes, tops.”

Riley tried not to but ended up bursting out laughing, “Phrasing!

Mark sighed, realizing how sexual his last comment had sounded.  Without a word, he just turned and started walking back down the New York streets. She knew he was smiling, but didn’t want her to see it.

She caught up to him and then offered another suggestion, “Can we at least go to Time’s Square?”

***********************************

Marshall was both curious and slightly nervous as he approached the conference room, where Paul told him they were meeting. He’d sent over some tracks for him to listen to and he hadn’t said anything yet. And for him to call a formal meeting was unusual, unless it was something serious. Usually he’d just call. He was disappointed to find that he couldn’t have quick glance into the room to see what was going on, as Paul had chosen the conference room without glass walls.