Chapter fourteen

Adrien really didn't want to leave the akuma alone in his room without supervision but he couldn't just ignore the tug on his heart that told him to go to Marinette. So he did the only thing he could think of. He walked across the hall to his father's office where a light was shinning bright from underneath of it. Taking a deep breath he gave a sigh and knocked three times on the large wooden door. The sound of shoes with hard souls walking towards his location scared him.

Never before had his father opened the door for him! At least, not since his mother had passed. Yet here he was, the door opened just enough so that Gabriel could see his son who was wearing unfamiliar clothing that was most certainly not made by him. "Adrien what are you doing up so late." Gabriel demanded quietly. There was no question to this, this was a demand given to a soldier.

"I was sleeping Father when I woke up from a nightmare and saw this dark purple butterfly flying towards me. I've never seen an akuma before but I think this is what it is." He said as Gabriel studied his son's face. Adrien looked exhausted and...scared. He seemed flighty, like if Gabriel said anything wrong he'd go straight back to bed without nothing else to say other than a forceful goodnight.

"Well then...do you have any idea why it would be after...you?" Gabriel asks, he knew this akuma, he had told it to keep watch on Ladybug. So why did his son have it? "I was having a nightmare...about Hawkmoth, I was dreaming that he'd finally gotten a hold of my friend Marinette and had killed everyone. They say that akumas turn people opposite to who they really are? Well Marinette is a pacifist. She'd kill everyone, she'd kill Ladybug and Chat Noir.

"She'd be his strongest akuma yet." Adrien said, silent tears flowing down his cheeks at the thought of his best friend being violated like that. Awaking only to find all of her friend and family dead. To find him, Chat Noir, dead. She'd find out that he was the cause of her depression and her rejuvenating. Gabriel could see the honest concern in his son's eyes.

"Well then, err, give the akuma to me. I'll make sure it doesn't get you while you are asleep. Has this ah, has this Marinette girl ever been akumatized?" Gabriel asked his son, who was busy wiping away his tears with the sleeves of the unfamiliar jacket. "No, no Marinette is the only one in my class to have never been akumatized. She's, she's has the strongest will of us all, her and I are the only ones to be akumatized actually." He says, catching his father's attention.

He had been feeling her intense emotions for a long time now but had never been able to take action upon them because of some strange magical force. It felt much like the magic that dispels and purifies his prized akumas so he had sent one to watch Ladybug and see if she had anything to do with the girl. But, surprisingly, they both shared the same negative energy, both protected by the same magic.

Not only that but he had tried to akumatize the girl once before. She has been the only one to have resisted his dark take on his miraculous's magic. It was surprising and frustrating, but he knew that if he waited there'd be a time to strike and get her in her weakest state. "Well then, let us hope that the girl stays that way. I'll make sure this stays away from you, now go back to bed Adrien." He says, taking the captured akuma and shutting his doors, barely hearing the faint "Goodnight Father," coming from his son.

As soon as the akuma was no longer near him Adrien dashed as quietly as he could to his room, transforming as quick as possible, and jumped out his window into the Parisian night sky. He was racing his way to find his Princess, who he had a feeling would be home in bed. And he was right, upon landing on her balcony and walking over to the trapdoor he could see her small figure, curled into a ball as shivering, he could see the tears leaking out of her closed eyes only because of the shine they reflected from the light of the moon.