- 25 -

Many years ago

Wooyoung tries hard to stay awake in class, his head nearly missing from being smashed against the table a few times as he fights to keep his eyelids open. He tries all kinds of methods, from pinching himself to holding his breath, but he finds that he's only endangering himself as he feels his skin and lungs burning. He takes a look at the board, the mathematical equations making no sense, while the teacher drawls on the topic, which could be chapter 3 or even chapter 9 for all he knows. He looks around the class; it's obvious that most of them are not paying attention. Yunho and his gang are dozing off, some snoring too loud that it echoes through the whole classroom. Even so, the teacher pays no mind. Then he looks to the left, spots San focusing to the front like he always does, as if his life depended on it.

My life does depend on my studies, Wooyoung, San had said one day. If I fail, I won't have anyone else to back me up. I need to get into university, get a good job, then I'll be able to live and maybe one day, people will start respecting me.

"Psstt, Choi San," he whispers, eyes darting to the front to make sure the teacher will not catch him talking to another student in class. "Choi San!" he presses, louder, but still, his friend does not turn to him. Resulting to drastic measures, he picks up his blue eraser and aims it at San's head, putting in a bit too much force when he throws the stationery.

It does hit him, earning a loud 'ouch' from him, before it bounces and hits Yunho squarely on the face. The latter wakes up with a jolt, shouting a loud "I TOTALLY DID NOT SLEEP IN CLASS!" in retaliation. Wooyoung hits his forehead with his palm, cursing at himself for throwing the eraser too hard while San is throwing daggers at him, his mouth twisting because his attention had been interrupted. Yunho looks around and sheepishly realizes that the whole class is looking at him, including the teacher, who by now has his hands on his hips, eyes wide.

The teacher decides that he won't let it slide it this time, pointing a finger at Yunho first, "Jeong Yunho! Get out of this class and raise your hands outside." When he hears snorts from the rest of the students, he says, "I don't mind you not paying attention but don't interrupt my lessons. You," he curls his finger to Wooyoung, "You thought I didn't see you throwing that eraser? Jung Wooyoung, out." When Wooyoung looks at San with puppy eyes on his way out, the teacher gives his final decision, "You too, Choi San! Out now."

The three have their heads down as they file out of the classroom, walking the hall of shame as their classmates watch them. Once outside, they obediently raise up both of their hands, mouths shut. Wooyoung feels responsible for being the one who had dragged both of them together with him, so he trains his eyes to the ground, waiting for the eruption from his friend on his left side and his classmate on his right side.

Students passing by them laugh at them secretly, but soon after he realizes that most of them are girls that are amused to see Yunho. There is even a gaggle of giggling girls passing by their class more than one time to take one glance at him but he stays composed, unaffected by the attention they're all giving him.

"You must be really popular," San finds himself saying. "Look at them ogling at you like they've never seen another decent human being."

With his hands still in the air, Yunho attempts a shrug before replying, "Nah, they're all interested in me because I'm rich. In the end it's always about the money."

"Damn, who hurt you son?" Wooyoung finds his voice, now that he figures they don't seem to be the least bit angry at him. "Are you saying that your gang of friends inside are all with you for the money? It doesn't seem so."

"Oh trust me, I know," he replies. "I've never found at least one person that would be friends with me besides for the money. All of them have ulterior motives, and I hate that."