Chapter 30 - A Spring Wedding

Start from the beginning

He cried often. The tears would fall unprompted, without reason or warning, and slide silently down his face at work, at the supermarket, at home. Kit thought they might just be a part of him now - after so many years thinking he didn't deserve to cry, or couldn't afford to show that kind of weakness. 

He still had cravings. He was still an addict, and still messed up.

But it was getting better. In small, slow steps. And they had each other just like Dan had promised. Just like he kept proving to Kit every day. 

Kit walks up behind Darren and casually stuffs a handful of white rose petals down the back of his shirt. Darren yelps and spins around, grabbing for Kit who flits away, laughing.

"I'll never understand how you two ended up becoming best friends," Morgan says, smiling and shaking his head.

"Well, the pickings are pretty sparse 'round here - " Darren starts.

"Actually my standards are reeeally low - " Kit begins at the same time. 

They stop, and Kit grins while Darren scoffs, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"It's because mentally they're the same age - ten year olds," Justin says calmly. "Now get to your positions before I ground you, brats." 

Over the last six months Justin had become much more confident - with the help of Morgan's and Kit's gentle (and teasing) encouragement.  

They manage to settle down just before the procession starts. 

Everyone is wearing cowboy boots - that's the only dress code. The bride looks beautiful in pale peach lace gown with a flower crown in her hair. Before her, her two little nephews march with matching patterned bowties, and after her, her sister and best friend walk in short, forrest green dresses. 

Around them are their friends, neighbours, family, and Pack. The bride and groom have eyes only for each other. It is a beautiful, clear spring day. 

Everything is as it should be. 

"Can I get you guys a drink? Anything you want - Beer, Darren?"

Kit holds up a bunch of bottles and cans in a tin bucket filled with ice. The sun stands low in the sky, the reception late and bustling, buffet dinner and speeches over, including Dan's best man speech and Kit singing La Vie en Rose to the accompaniment of Darren's acoustic guitar. 

The pack lounges together on a group of garden furniture, feeling the pleasant heat of the day fade, while the bride is busy dancing with her family. 

"What's up with you, Kit? Seeing you so docile is creeping me out," Darren asks suspiciously. 

"I'm in a conciliatory mood. Since I was kind of an asshole earlier." 

"Conciliatory, huh?" Darren scoffed, taking a can from the chilled bucket. "I'd trust a rattlesnake more."

"And you'd be right to. Rattlesnakes are very predictable creatures." 

Kit narrows his eyes playfully, dumping the bucket on the grass in the middle of the group and sliding into Dan's lap, a raspberry soda in his hand - he is trying to cut down on the alcohol. 

"They even warn you when they're about to strike." He nudges the bucket with his foot rhythmically, the ice cubes clinking against the tin, imitating the sound of a rattle. 

"I'm more like one of those colourful little frogs. It just sits there, looking cute and blinking it's eyes. But if you touch it wrong, you die."

"I can see a flaw in your logic," Ronan cuts in, smiling and leaning forward to fish out a craft beer. 

"Oh, yeah?"

"Well, for one thing, I have never seen anyone do a worse job of sitting quietly just blinking his eyes than you, Kit."

"Hah! You may have a point there." 

"So," Ronan continues, eyes on the two of them, smile tugging at the corner of his lips, "When will your wedding be then, Dan?" 

He asks it casually, popping the cap off his beer bottle. 

"Oh, I assume we'll wait until Autumn," Dan replies, smiling.  

Kit spits out his drink, spraying red soda across his lap and Dan's white shirt front. Darren snorts and the others laugh - even Ronan chuckles.

"Or whenever he's ready," Dan finishes, his hand coming up to stroke Kit's cheek, brown eyes warm and sparkling. 

The badass Omega leans forward to kiss his mate in the midst of their pack, the taste of artificial raspberry blooming in their mouths. 

The End :)