Losing Sleep Interlude

Freckles POV

"Uhm, Jack, I don't think that's such a good idea" I said with my snarky attitude.

"Why not?" Jack asked 

I dragged Jack off to the side "Are you an idiot?! Doing this god damn rally could put all of us in the Refuge! Spot knows how much I hate not having my gals safe!!" I said pulling Jack down by the red bandana around his neck "And if you make my borough go down, I swear on my soul. You. Are. Going. Down. With. Me."  

Jack gulped and nodded. We soon walked back to the table as we smiled fakely, however both of them were made to mask the fear inside them. Charlotte went over to me and nudged me with a wink. I scoffed and pushed her while I giggled 'Honesty I feel bad for scaring Jack, but I love seeing the way his beautiful green eyes quivered in fear- ugh! What am I thinking! But his eyes.... I could get lost in them, and his smile seemed to brighten up the room.... and his touch.... I felt safe and happy when I felt it— .... I need to be stopped' 

I hadn't even noticed when the meeting at Tibby's ended I was too busy swarming in my own thoughts. When I made it home, it was late. So I decided to put everyone to sleep, except myself. I need to think some things over. "Why do my knees go weak when I see Jack?" I asked 

"You're in love!" Charlotte squealed

"I am not!!" I said

"Yes you are!!" She squealed again

I sighed and said "Okay, maybe I am" 

 "Welp! I'm going to bed" she smiled 

I nodded which left me to my thoughts. I sat there blushing and smiling like a love struck dork on my fire escape, with my newsies peacefully snoring in their beds. I smiled at my memories so far, I even giggled to myself every now and then. For once I felt happy, something I haven't felt in awhile. Shocker! I know. 

The whole 'love' thing isn't my specialty. But you love who you love right? I have no choice but to believe that. After what happened to my parents.... I'm forced to believe that. 

Flashback 

I sat down peacefully in my room as I heard glass shattering and yelling. I was playing with my dolls as I cried out of fear. I feared my father would come and hurt me after my mother was all worn out. 

I covered my mouth and hid under my bed when I heard a knock on my door. Soon I heard a loud BANG! As I looked out to see my mom holding a shattered glass bottle and my dad on the floor. The last thing I heard from my mom before I heard the cops come was "Run." 

End Of Flashback

I was so distracted that I didn't notice how tears streamed my face. I took a shaky sigh and wiped my face "Tears make you weak. I need to be strong." I said to myself going and laying in bed. I was so done I couldn't even stop the tears that fell as I slept that night.