IX

They actually ended up in a park near the pool. Harry parked the car in a parking space where no branches were blocking their view of the stars.

Harry hopped out the car and Louis followed him to the trunk, which was filled with pillows and blankets.

Louis hummed in appreciation. "You really planned ahead there Harold."

He grinned and climbed into the trunk. "Only the best for my boobear."

Louis pouted at the nickname but climbed in all the same. They both cuddled into each other once they'd made it inside and Louis hummed contentedly. Harry rested his head on Louis' shoulder and sighed.

"Stars are pretty," Harry marveled.

Louis snorted. "The stars are always pretty you sap."

Harry laughed into Louis' chest. "Yes, but they're extra pretty tonight."

"Don't really think that's possible but-"

"Shut up," Harry said and Louis could feel his smile through his shirt. So he did. And they sat there watching the stars that were only dancing for them.

Louis could feel himself drift off when Harry perked up from beside him.

"Oh! I nearly forgot." He got up and started foraging in a bag behind him and pulled out two large bottles. "Brought alcohol."

"You really did think of everything Harold. I am impressed."

Harry beamed and handed Louis a bottle, both of them sitting up against the back of the truck now.

About halfway through the bottle, Louis decided he wanted to tell him. Like, now. But he looked so radiant marveling up at the stars in wonder and Louis really wanted to kiss him. But he couldn't do that if he didn't tell him first so.

He turned his head and looked at him, the stars glinting in his eyes and his smile content and warm. He was beautiful and Louis wasn't sober and all he could think was how glad he was he didn't drown that day. The words were bubbling up from his chest and he was too tired to fight it.

"Do you think fish get thirsty?"

"I love you," Louis blurted out.

He said it so seriously, Harry was taken aback for a moment. "Lou," he said finally, turning his head away from him, "Don't." His voice sounded strict but his eyes were hesitant, letting Louis know it was okay to move closer to him. Louis sat up and leaned over Harry, straddling him.

"I'm serious."

Harry frowned and moved his head to look up at him. "Don't believe you."

"Then kiss me."

"No."

"Kiss me."

"No," he said, a smile creeping over his face. "You kiss me."

So he did. He leant down and pressed his lips softly on his and kissed him. And Harry kissed him back. Louis thinks he's never been happier than he is right now. When they had to come back up for air, Louis rested his head against Harry's forehead and smiled softly down at him. Harry smiled dopily back up at him and pressed a kiss to his nose.

"I wish it were raining," Harry said, closing his eyes and the moonlight created shadows of his eyelashes on his cheekbones.

"I don't need the rain," I said. "I need you."

Louis saw his cheeks turn pink as Harry buried his face in Louis' shoulder again, smiling against his neck. Harry clasped onto Louis' hand under the sheets and it all clicked. He might not be sure of everything or be able to figure out everything about himself and those certain inscrutable people (he will find out what's in Harry's journal, so help him) but what he is sure of is that he was meant to be here: with Harry. Soulmates or whatever it was Zayn called it. He glanced at Harry and thought, yeah, he'd be my soulmate.