VII

Zayn called Louis on New Year's Eve to tell him Eleanor invited them to her party. Louis frowned. Harry was supposed to call him later on that day and they would ring in the New Year together. Sensing his hesitance over the phone, Zayn had groaned and said, "Come on Lou. You'll see Harry in a couple of days. Please? Just for this one night? It's fucking annoying to see you mope around everywhere."

"Fine, I'll go. But I'm coming back home before midnight," Louis had sighed.

Which is how Louis found himself smushed on a couch between Eleanor and a guy named Aiden who'd been sending him flirty winks all night, at 11:36.

They were pissed drunk and playing a drinking game Louis had invented no more than 15 minutes ago, taking a gulp every time Zayn and Liam kissed. They were forced to stop when Liam and Zayn (Ziam as they were now referring to them, being that you would never see one without the other) realized what they were doing.

While they were all contemplating another game to play, Aiden leaned over to whisper in Louis' ear, "Meet me on the porch at 11:50," before getting up from the seat to get another drink. Zayn raised his eyebrow at the wink Aiden sent him and jerked his head towards the door. Getting up and following Zayn out the door, they sat on the front steps and Zayn pulled out two cigarettes, passing one to Louis.

"So you and Harry..." Zayn's voice drifted off and got swallowed by the chilly air.

"What about Harry?"

Zayn rolled his eyes. "Don't play dumb with me Louis. Eleanor likes you and I know you would give more of a shit if you weren't into Harry."

It was true. Eleanor was pretty and all, he just really didn't fancy her.

Not sober in the least, Louis shrugged and crunched a leaf under his foot. "I dunno. Girls are cute but I kinda like Harry more a bit."

Zayn just shrugged and took a hit. "No need to put labels on yourself Lou. They just tie you down and prevent you from expanding."

Louis looked at him. "You get so philosophical when you're drunk."

Zayn laughed and checked the time on your phone. "11:49. Don't you have a soulmate you need to call?"

Louis shoved him and got up. "Shut up."

Louis went back inside to grab his phone from the couch and prayed someone hadn't taken it, before he slammed into some curly, brown hair.

It was Eleanor.

"Hey Lou," she grinned brightly and held out his phone. "You left it on the couch."

She was twisting her hair around her finger while she talked to him and as adorable as she was, he really needed to tell her.

"Thanks El. I'm gay."

But not like that.

He frowned after he realized what he said. Darn. He was gonna tell her at school. Attempting to give a nonchalant smile, he turned around and let before she could say anything back.

He waved goodbye to Zayn - who was still sitting on the steps - when he reached outside and made a mental note to tell him what he said to Eleanor before he began his journey back. While he was walking, he realized he forgot to tell Aiden he wasn't coming to the porch with him. Oh well. And Zayn. Lovely Zayn who didn't even mention Aiden. He'd tell him how much he loved him if he wasn't sure he'd regret it tomorrow for being so sappy.

A light breeze passed by and Louis barely even had to tighten his sweater, being so used to the cold weather back in Doncaster. However, he was thankful that in Houston it doesn't really get below 70 degrees (see? He was getting better at American terminology) in the winter.

While he was walking, he passed by the house Harry used to live in which made him check his phone. 11:55. He walked faster.

When he reached his house, he could hear the phone ringing. Drunkenly stumbling through the house, he hurled himself at the phone before it could stop ringing.

"Heeeyy Hazza," he slurred.

Harry sighed. "Lou, you're drunk."

"Mhm," he agreed, yawning into his hand.

"Babe, you should go to sleep."

"Nope. M'gonna stay up with you. Promised."

Harry laughed softly. "You're accent comes out more when you're drunk."

"Mm," he said sleepily. Louis laid down on the sofa and listened to Harry laugh again. His laugh is so pretty. He thinks he could listen to his laugh every second of every day and never get tired of it. So he tells him that.

He can hear Harry's smile when he says, "Lou, you're drunk," again.

"Yes, but a happy drunk. And an in love drunk. With you. Love you, Hazzaa," he sings out, throwing his hands up and singing quieter when he remembers his mum's right upstairs and he's not supposed to be up this late.

"Love you too, Boo," Harry giggled.

Louis frowned. This is serious talk.

"No I-"

"Oo countdown's starting," Harry said excitedly, missing Louis' protest.

"But-"

"Shh, Lou. I can't hear Ryan Seacrest on tv. Have you noticed he never ages?" he murmured, half to himself.

Louis snorted, his statement completely forgotten. "Uh, yeah. He's like the male version of Halle Berry."

Harry laughed the same loud and obnoxious laugh that made his stomach flip before making a shuffling noise that sounded like he was turning around. Another shuffling noise and his voice came back. "Ryan Seacrest says eight seconds."

"Oo, we should do that alternate numbers countdown thingy like in those movies."

Harry giggled. "Alright, five."

"Four."

"Three."

"Two."

"One."

"Happy New Year Haz," he said softly.

"Happy New Year Lou. Now go to sleep drunky."

He yawned. "That's not even a word."

"Is now. Night, Boo."

When they both hung up, Louis sat at the window and watched at the fireworks burst into showers of neon lights and remembered how much Harry was frightened by them. Sighing, he went up to bed and fell asleep almost immediately. He had dreams of Harry's laugh.