VIII

The rest of the year passed by fairly quickly. They called each other every day after school and for Harry's birthday he sent him a necklace with a paper airplane on it.

They also hadn't seen each other since before he left. I mean, they video chatted of course but Louis hadn't seen Harry in person for almost a year.

Louis had complained to Harry about this over skype and he just rolled his eyes.

"Fine Louis. I'll come up. I'll ditch school and we'll run away together."

"No you will not," Anne's voice called from the door of Harry's room.

Louis laughed at Harry's astounded face and grinned at her. "Hi Anne!"

"Hi Louis. Tell your mother I said hello too and stay in school," she joked, walking out of Harry's room.

Louis saluted. "Will do."

Harry shook his head. "No privacy I tell you."

"None. But when are you coming up?"

"Um, summer I think. As usual."

"Is there any chance you might come down any earlier? And take a certain boy to their prom."

"I thought Zayn was dating Liam?" Harry deadpanned.

Louis threw his pillow at the laptop camera.

"Ouch. Why must you resort to such violence Lewis," Harry laughed.

"Don't be a twat waffle, Harold."

Harry's mouth widened in a mixture of a gape and a smile. A huge dimpled grin ended up appearing.

"First you symbolically attack me and then you call me a twat waffle? I'm seriously considering taking Zayn instead."

"Is that a no?"

"You wish Tomlinson."

"Actually, I think Zayn wishes."

Harry laughed.

"May 12th lovely," Louis said, winking.

The week before Harry was coming, Louis bustled all over the house and made sure everything was clean. Louis' mum had to remind him that he wasn't coming for another week but that didn't make him stress any less. And it wasn't just like he was stressing himself out. Oh no. He had Harry contributing to it too. Every time he called, they would go over the plans they'd made for when he came up.

"And then we'll go back to the pool. I mean, of course it'll be closed but- sentimental reasons. And then..."

Louis would always tease him about his zealousness but in reality, he was just as excited as Harry was.

When he told Zayn that Harry was coming over, he just smiled and shook his head. "So I guess I won't be seeing you at prom then."

He had denied it then but now that he was thinking about it, he never heard prom on Harry's plans - not that he was complaining. In fact, he preferred it. He wanted to spend as much time with him as humanly possible.

When prom day finally rolled around, the hallways were buzzing with the news of it. Zayn was taking Liam (which came as a surprise to no one), Aiden was taking some guy named David, and his friend Josh was taking Eleanor. He and Eleanor had actually become friends - after Louis had apologized fifty times for dropping the gay bomb on her like that (especially when he wasn't sure what his sexuality even was. Liam said something about pansexual. Louis' been looking into that).

The classes were a humdrum but Louis couldn't sit still. After school was finally over and the bus had dropped him off, Louis walked home and ended up in front of Harry's house. He didn't know what time Harry would be coming back but he decided not to dawdle there too long before someone caught him.

Louis collapsed on his bed when he finally got home and shot Harry a text.

sooon :)

Harry responded almost immediately.

can't wait :) .x

Louis smiled at his phone and put it up to charge, resting his head on his pillow and falling asleep.

He woke up to his mother shaking him up. He groaned and rubbed his eyes. "Wha time s'it?"

"Half past 6. Better get up if you wanna be ready for your date," she replied, winking on her way out.

Louis raced up and threw on his suit, grabbing his phone and bounding down the stairs to grab dinner. The girls were all sitting at the table and eating when Louis came downstairs. Daisy looked up at him and frowned. "Why are you dressed so fancy Lou? We're just having dinner."

Lottie rolled her eyes and sighed. "Because he's going to his prom. Duh."

"Oo, is Harry taking you?" Fizzy said, perking up.

"Maybe. Maybe not munchkins." He stopped. "Wait, how'd you know that?" He's pretty sure he's not that loud on the phone.

Fizz shrugged and went back to eating her dinner. "He mentioned it last time he was here."

"Does that mean we can see him?" Pheobe asked excitedly, everyone's head popping up at that.

Louis laughed. "Maybe."

Harry mentioned about taking him to prom? How long has he been planning this?

He went to the kitchen to make himself a plate of parma ham (the only dish he knew how to cook, really) when his phone went off. Louis checked and saw that it was from Harry.

wear something sexy ;) .x

Louis laughed.

is a suit sexy enough for you sweetums ;) ? x

i'm drooling. get your sexy ass out here xx

out here ??

open your door x

Louis frowned and got up from his seat, turning towards his mother.

"Mum. Um- I think Harry's here."

She nodded, not looking up from her food. "Okay. Have a good time sweetheart. Be home before midnight."

He pocketed his phone and waved goodbye to his family. Louis opened the door, only to see Harry parked on the curb of his house, leaning on the door of that old as hell 1960's pick-up truck. When Harry looked up to see him, he gave that same joker grin and opened the door, patting the passenger's seat. "Your chariot awaits."

Louis walked towards him, trying - and failing - to suppress a smile. "If that things breaks down, you're carrying me back home."

Harry laughed and once Louis was close enough, he hopped in the driver's seat. Louis leaned against the doorframe of the car and looked at Harry. He couldn't help but notice how different he looked. It'd only been a couple months but he lived so far away, it felt like years.

Harry was looking back at Louis with the same thoughtful expression, but Harry was the first one to snap out of it. "Whatcha waiting for? Get in me car," he grinned and Louis barked out a laugh, climbing in.

"Broom broom, motherfucker."

When Harry passed by Louis' school, Louis couldn't be any less surprised.