Chapter 30

Chapter 30: "Jeepers, Reiji-chan, you got a fish to bite the bait, but then you cut the reel!"

Her eyes are all... swirly. It's like she's completely lost her bearings the moment we got into this crowd. Shopping mall's a great place to sight-see, but on a weekend like this, it's too damn crowded. I pity Arisu, on the train, she looked just about ready to scream. Now she looks like she needs to throw up.

Is she that bad around people? She's real conserved about using her voice, I'd thought she was deaf the first time I saw her. Well, she can hear just fine. Maybe there's a problem with her throat that makes her unable to speak? She does talk real softly last time I remember. She's resorted to paper notes lately...

Having a friend like Arisu is really... more trouble than it's worth. Communication is the key in any relationship, and it's obvious that her side of the terminal isn't working properly. That said, she's a good friend all in all, a loyal and kind-hearted person. It'll be sad when we part ways.

Something tugs at my sleeve. I take a glance, finding Arisu desperately pinching it, her entire body quaking at a magnitude that would move the Earth. Her eyes planted toward the tiled floors, her face is dripping sweat.

She's really troublesome. But I don't mind one bit.

I take her hand and guide her through the crowds. A lost lamb needs a shepherd, right? But once the lamb grows up, it doesn't need the shepherd anymore...

I'm... that friend everyone ditches once they find their clique. I make friends with anyone but once they find someone else, they start to see me less. I'm still friends with everyone in a way, but it's not like I talk to them often. I guess I'm just trying to help Arisu develop social skills for that day she throws me under the rug.

No malice though. Friends come and go, right? I don't hold any spite for anyone. Just talking with people is fulfilling. I don't need to be 'besties' or 'BFFs'. Just casual friends, and that's more than I can ask for.

Sigh, I hope she gets into a good crowd. The school forums have been going on and on about her. Mostly just the boys, then again, they drool over any girl. Except me. Ugh... I don't need their attention anyway... It does burn a little.

Girls? Well, rumour has it that the clique in the C class has been talking about her. The three girls, Sayuri, Ayako and Nami... They model for magazines. Beauty queens, as one would say. I never talked to them though, I just couldn't fit in with that group. They live in different worlds from me.

Well, I don't know if they want to drag Arisu into their clique. I don't think they're bad people, I'm sure they'll show treat her well. I'll just be sad when she changes. I'm not particularly fond of seeing that.

As we step onto the escalator, I rear my head back and see her... gushing. Why is she blushing so hard? Is there a guy she likes somewhere or something? I can hear the jittering of her teeth...

"Something wrong?"

Not even looking me, she shakes her head.

Bah, troublesome. You have to observe her body language to understand what she's thinking. You have to learn to read minds... Maybe I'll break my legs and shave my hair bald. Call myself, Professor S.

"Is there a handsome boy you're eyeing?" I lightly nudge at her.

Vehemently, she shakes her head once more.

How defensive. It only means I'm right. There're too many people here though, I can't specifically tell which one nabbed her heart so fast.

Reaching the top, I escort her through the second floor. Most of the popular apparel stores are here. Too bad for Arisu I'm not exactly what you would call a fashionable girl. I find boy's clothes more comfortable, so I tend to go around in them.