Chapter 15

"Thank you, so much for having me over," I said as Hannah pulled me in a hug.

She released me then smiled sweetly, "You're welcome, sweetheart. I was in your position, so I know what goes on in that head of yours. Sometimes we just want someone to care for us." She looked at her husband and son, then back at me, "We care for you."

I nod and wiped the tears from my face, "Thank you."

"You're welcome." she looked up at Valdo then back at me, "What have you been doing in the days?"

"Nothing. I slept today, and I took King to the Park."

"You must be awfully bored."

I smiled and nodded, "I am."

"Why don't you spend your days with me? I teach a baking class. I think you'd love it." she looked across at Valdo, "What do you say, Vally?"

Valdo smiled at his mom, "That would be great." he turned to me, "Of course, if you rather stay off your feet we'd understand." I smiled at the simple gesture of kindness.

I nod, "I'd love to come to your class. I'm sure it would be better than sitting down all day doing nothing."

Hannah grinned at me, "Perfect. I'll pick you up at eight-thirty."

"And maybe you can bring her to the soup kitchen afterwards," Kevin suggested.

Hannah's face lit up, "Yes. That's a great idea." she turned to me, "You wouldn't mind, would you?"

I shook my head. Of course, I wouldn't mind serving food to the homeless. I know what they're going through, what they like so who better to help them than someone who knows and understand their struggles.

I've been to a few soup kitchen myself, and it was because I was hungry and I had no money, just like the other persons there. Everyone had a different story. In a Soup Kitchen, you're surrounded by hundreds of people who have a story. Some stories were similar to mine. Some were much more worse. Going to the soup kitchen allowed me to see how other people cope with being homeless. 

Hannah looked between her son and me, "I don't want to keep you guys on the road too late, so I'm going to let you go home."

"Thanks, mom. I'll see you tomorrow." Valdo pulled his mom in a quick hug then release her than did the same for his stepfather. We didn't go back to the story, but I was curious to know how Valdo and Kevin got so close after what happened.

As Valdo and I made our way to his car, Kevin and Hannah waited at their front door to see us leave. Valdo opened the passenger for me, and I entered. I waved at the couple as Valdo entered and started the car. When we were a few minutes away from the house, Valdo turned to me, "Did you like them?"

I smiled, "I love them." I did. They weren't what I expected his parents to be. I expected arrogant and egoist people just like movies portrayed, but the Garner's weren't. They were friendly, loving and down-to-earth not what she expected at all, especially from the stepfather who was a multi-billionaire. What shocked me was that there were no chefs around, and he cooked and served us himself.

Valdo smiled, "Great, because they love you too."

I blushed then turn to look in the opposite direction of his beautiful eyes, "Thank you. I always used to wonder what's it like to have two parents or at least a father, and you gave me that opportunity." I looked back at him with a serious face, "You've done so much for me. I don't know how I'll ever pay you back.

He looked at me and smiled, "The Law of Value states 'Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.' I want to give you as much as I can so that you can have a better life." he smiled, "The law of Authenticity states 'The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself.' You might think you're giving me nothing in return, but that's not true, you're giving me yourself. Your time and your attention. They're nothing more valuable than you can give me, except yourself."

I nod, "Those are some strong laws."

He smiled, "They're the ones I live by. I can never go wrong if I follow them."

I smiled and looked at him. It was this moment that all my doubts and suspicions about him disappeared. He lived by-laws, he had a wonderful loving father, a loving heart and a generous soul. He isn't the type to steal a baby from a teenage girl, and so I had to do the right thing by telling him the truth.

"My real name is Jakobia Taylor, Tiffany is just the name I use on the streets, I come from a small town, and I'm not twenty. I'm eighteen." I bent my head in embarrassment, "I'm sorry, I lied, but I couldn't trust you, not 100% at least." he turned for a sec and continued looking at the road ahead, "You have to understand, they're so many creeps out there that would do anything to get a baby or worse, people who just kill for pleasure. I just couldn't take the risk."

"I understand." he looked at me briefly before shifting his attention back on the road, "Why did you change your mind? Why do you trust me completely now?"

I thought thoroughly about the question before I answered. "It's everything. The way you are, The way you socialise with your family. The relationship you had with them. Everything."

"Thank you." he suddenly slowed the car down and parked on the side of the road. He looked me in the eyes. "I only want what's best for you and what's best for you is to be surrounded by people who will love and take care of you. The only thing we want in return is your love and respect as well. For the past six months, you've had it hard, I can only imagine some of the things you are going through, but now is time to let all of that go. Many people have hurt,  mistreated, and abandoned you, but now it's time for you to forgive them and let go. You might think the world is full of bad people who are going to hurt you, but I'm not going to hurt you, neither is Kevin or my mother. There are  still good people in the world. We want to help. Let me help you. Let us give you the love you deserve."

I held my breath as I looked into his piercing blue eyes. It seemed as if he had cast a spell on me because I was lost for words. My heart kicks up. I also knew he was attractive, but there was something different now that I was sitting so close to him.

I'm not attracted to Valdo. He's the guy who's helping me, and he's way older. I'm not attracted to Valdo. I can't be, can I?

I'm pregnant with another man's child, why does thinking about Valdo gives me butterflies in my stomach?

Because you like him.

Stop it, Jakoby!

You've known him less than a week. I couldn't possibly have any romantic feeling towards him; it would be wrong, so wrong. Yet by staring into his eyes, I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to have a man like Valdo loving me.

He was already good to me, imagine how he would treat me if he fell in love with me.

Get over yourself!

You're just sad and lonely and need someone to comfort you, that's all it is. Admiration for the man who is helping you. Don't complicate the situation by falling for him. You're pregnant, for Christ sake! Get a grip.

I can't believe all the thoughts that were going through my head as I stared at him. What is wrong with me?

I'm fantasising about him while I stare at him, not weird at all.

I finally came out of my reverie when he cleared his throat and back away. He started the car, and we were back on route.

"You said the most important gift someone can give is themselves." I look straight ahead; I didn't want to fall into his abyss of eyes again. "How do I give you myself? I don't have much to offer you. I'm boring to be around; I don't watch TV a lot. I'm a house rat, but that's because I never had a lot of money to go out anyways." I sighed, "The only thing I can give you is my time and attention."

He took his eyes off the road for a second then smiled and at, "Your time is all I need."

.......................

Tuesday I read a book called 'The Go-Giver". It was amazing, so I decide to use some of the laws from that book in mine.

Name a book that touched your heart.

Thanks for reading this chapter. Please vote and comment. (They make me happy)