Chapter 9

I sigh as I look at the shopping bags that laid at my feet. I'm exhausted, and my feet were killing me. Valdo and I spent the whole day going from mall to mall, and a lot of work was done. I'm used to walking a lot, but I'm not used to standing in one place deciding whether I should take the blue dress or the purple one. I've never spent so much time shopping before or doing anything for that matter. I'm a hundred per cent sure that more than thirty bags were laying there and all of them belonged to the baby and me. Some bags had clothes for me and some for the baby. The other bags had toys, formula, diapers and other baby stuff.

Never in my eighteen years of life have I ever shopped so much. Never in my eighteen years of life have I ever spent so much money and never in my eighteen years of life have I ever seen someone so calm when a cashier told them the bill is over five thousand dollars. Never have I ever seen someone spend five thousand dollars all at once.

The weird thing about it was that he didn't seem to mind. Every time we went to the cashier to check out the goods my eyes would widen when I heard the total, but all Valdo did was smile and hand his card over to the cashier like it wasn't a big deal. It was like he was used to spending so much money.

Of course, the man's rich.

I pushed myself down on the bed and looked up at the ceiling.

Did I just let a stranger spend over twenty thousand dollars on me?

My mother doesn't even make that much a year, and I had it spent on me in a day.

What the hell was I thinking?

You need clothes for your self and your baby.

I shook my head. Still not believing that a man could spend so much money on a girl who he barely knows, a girl whose real name he doesn't know, a girl whose actual age he doesn't know.

He swore he wasn't after my baby and he promised he just wanted to help.

And I somewhat believe him. After all, he's rich. Why take away a homeless girl baby when you can have your own or pay someone to have it for you. It just didn't make any sense, and so I have to believe him when he says he only wants to help.

How could I resist help when I so badly need it?

If it weren't for what happened the other night, I wouldn't have realised how dangerous being homeless is. But if it weren't for homelessness, I wouldn't be as grateful and humble as I am now. I guess there is always a balance.

A knock on my door pulled me out of my thoughts. I pulled myself up from the bed, then permitted him to enter.

Valdo pushed his head in my room, "Hey, I know you're probably exhausted, but before you fall asleep, there is one thing I need to show you."

"What is it?"

He smiled, "Come, and you'll see."

Even though sleep was killing me, I'm as curious as a cat, and I needed to see what he was talking about. I pushed myself off the bed and stand. I slowly walked through the bags without stepping on any of them. Valdo pushed my door open further so I could exit. When I reached beside him in front of my door, I waited for him to make the first move.

"Follow me," he gave me one last look then turn towards the door in front of mine. He entered, and I followed closely behind him. He turned on the light, and the blue room lit up.

I turn to him, waiting for an explanation.

"Do you like it?"

I looked around the room that had exactly the same design and layout as mine. "Yes, I guess," I replied with uncertainty, after all, there wasn't much of a difference compared to mine.