Chapter Forty-One- The Wet Blanket

Začít od začátku

"Fine. Then how about a harmless dung bomb?"

"Sirius," Remus said in that tone he got, which all his friends knew meant they weren't going to get to do anything fun or dangerous. So instead, they walked onwards to potions. At least ever since Sirius had successfully helped Remus pass the potions exam, even with what happened with them in the courtyard, his friend had been less reluctant about letting him sit with him instead of Peter.

In fact, they took turns. At least James and Sirius did. Peter struggled nearly as much as Remus did so he was useless about the whole thing. However, James and Sirius had to keep taking turns helping in potions because it was quite a task making sure Remus didn't fail. They had tried to ask Remus what the heck happened to him in potions but he had muttered allergies and avoided them for two days so they didn't push it anymore. That was another thing that wasn't fair.

Anytime they tried to ask more things or get to know Remus more he magically transformed to beginning-of-the-year Remus for a few days until they could show him they weren't going to question him further. Unbeknownst to Remus, they had used this to their advantage and would occasionally ask questions, knowing they were getting warmer to whatever it was Remus was still hiding if he ignored them for a day or two.

They had already realized it probably wasn't his mother or even his father, though he never talked about them. However, whatever it was definitely had something to do with his disappearances. This confused them to no end because if his disappearances were because of his mom then what more was there to hide? None of them would entertain the idea that he was the one dying, because such a thing was preposterous. After a few weeks of tossing back and forth different dumb theories they were well into February. Valentine's Day was just around the corner, and they finally became distracted by other things.

Because they really all did have other things on their mind, and they could only fret over Remus so long before other things came up. For example, James was more determined than ever to beat Lily in grades. This was proving difficult and meant he actually had to study for exams. Peter was just trying to keep his grades up, which was due a great deal to Remus who was a fantastic tutor who also helped James and Sirius, though Peter reported he was much more hesitant with them around.

Then, of course, Sirius had Drommie on his mind. He knew Remus, at least partly, was only using the subject as a shield to avoid discussing him. But Sirius also knew that as infuriating as it was, his friend was also right. He had to talk to his cousin. He just didn't know how to.

The past two times they hung out together he couldn't bring up the topic. Oftentimes they just had fun and reminisced on past happy memories, most of them when both their families had hung out together and therefore had been more tolerable. Anytime Sirius asked about Ted his cousin changed the topic with as much skill as Remus, and with a great deal more attitude when he tried to push it.

So Sirius felt like quite the failure, not helped by the fact the Regulus still hadn't been allowed to write him. He still hadn't heard from his parents, either.

It's not like Sirius was getting in too much trouble at school, although he did get his fair share of detentions. But he was one of the top students in almost all subjects, except Astronomy and History of Magic. But no one got good grades in History of Magic. And ever since Remus fell off the tower, he hadn't been able to focus much on Astronomy.

But even in the second term his mother and father hadn't written yet, not even a howler! His mother's last words to him before getting on the train after winter break was that he better keep his nose clean, and that was all he had heard from her in months. It left an ache in his chest and he had to remind his friends, and himself, that he didn't care if his lousy parents wrote to him, even if he looked sad at breakfast when the owls came. It wasn't because he didn't get mail from them, but because he was expecting something cool and top-secret in the mail from his uncle.