A Father and his Son

I watched from the shadows, careful that Zuko and Ozai wouldn't be able to see me. 

"Do you remember those family vacations we used to take on Ember Island? Once, at the beach--you couldn't have been older than three at the time--we saw a hawk attacking a turtle-crab by the water," Ozai said to Zuko, "you ran as fast as your little legs could carry you to rescue that turtle-crab. Even then, you possessed an affinity for the weak. But then, when you had the turtle-crab safely in your arms, you hesitated. The hawk looked at you with hungry eyes, and you realized you were condemning it to starve. You didn't know whether to side with the hawk or the turtle-crab. Before you could reach a decision, a giant wave washed over you and carried you out into the ocean."

When he was three? That sounded unlikely, but ok.

"I dove in myself to save you. You spent the rest of the day in your mother's arms, vomiting sea-water." 

He saved Zuko? That sounded even more unlikely, but ok.

"I came here looking for advice. I want to know how you were able to sleep peacefully in spite of the pressures of the throne." Zuko said. 

"And I told you," Ozai said. 

Bro... what? Clearly, you did not. But... ok?

"I don't see how an old family memory-" Zuko started saying, only to be cut off my Ozai. 

"I'm tired, Zuko. We're done talking for now. Perhaps we will continue tomorrow," Zuko started walking out of the room. Crap! I threw a small rock I found on the ground in Ozai's cell, causing Zuko to turn back around and look into the cell. As he was distracted, and jumped up and ran back to our room. 

"Don't tell Zuko I followed him," I said to Suki. She nodded, and I sank into bed pretending to sleep. 

Zuko entered the room, and I got up and pretended to yawn, "where did you go?"

"Just.. for some late night tea," he said carefully. 

"Uh-huh... Well," I pulled him onto the bed, "sleepy time!"

Zuko never slept. 

He was awake all night, mumbling about the turtle duck. 

The next morning he got up and left the room, thinking I was still asleep. 

Of course, I never slept but he doesn't need to know that. I followed him as he got two cups of tea and headed for his fathers cell. 

He handed Ozai a cup, and sipped his own tea. Then he sat down, I hid in the shadows again. 

"I stayed up all night thinking about what you said. At the beach, I was overwhelmed by my circumstances because I couldn't decide which side to take. I should have sided with the hawk. It was strong and noble, much like the Fire Nation. It had earned its meal," Zuko said. 

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. 

Zuko grew angry, "But I've already done that, father! I'm no longer neglecting the needs of my own people, as I did when I first took the throne! And I still can't sleep!" 

"You're only partially correct in your assessment. Your sleeplessness does indeed stem from your inability to choose sides, to distinguish what is right. But you're wrong about the hawk." Ozai said. 

Zuko looked shocked, "So you're saying ... I should have defended the turtle-crab? I should have sided with the weaker of the two?" 

"What I'm trying to say is -- There is no right or wrong apart from what you decide. Whom you choose to defend deserves to be defended simply because you chose them. You are the Fire Lord. What you choose, by definition, is right." Ozai said.