17

17
A tumultuous end

THEO WAS PACING back and forth like an animal stuck in a narrow cage. His stance was aloof, expression unbothered. Every once and a while he attempted to make a joke then proceeded to laugh as a hand went through his short hair.

Unlike him Blaise was sitting beside Nina, mindlessly flipping through a healing book he'd borrowed from Madame Pomfrey. Occasionally his eyes would dart on Nina. She was still unconscious, her expression pacific despite the gauze pressing against her forehead. Head trauma wasn't the reason she was asleep: upon collision with the ring her shoulder had broken in two spots. It was a highly painful injury, and Madame Pomfrey had quickly put her to sleep to safely carry her to the infirmary. Still, Blaise trembled whenever her recalled the way she'd screamed while awake.

The healer had ensured Nina would be waking up any moments now, though it didn't help Blaise feel better. He deemed Nina stupid for willingly putting herself in danger, and decided then that he would never ever mount a broom. Blimey, he couldn't believe how scared he'd felt as Nina was free falling.

He shot the Gryffindor laying on a bed in front them a murderous glare. Unlike Nina he was wide awake, his broken leg propped on pillows.

"It's a shame you injured your leg," Blaise had viciously whispered to him before, as Madame Pomfrey was too busy treating Nina's injuries to notice. "You won't be able to run for a while."

Now he wondered if his comment had been harsh, after all his was but an empty threat. Still he couldn't say he didn't enjoy the wary looks the Gryffindor occasionally shot his way.

"I've seen Malfoy after he hit his head by falling off the swing a few years ago... after Nina pushed him off the swing, actually," Theo said suddenly, a smirk on his face, "he acted all quiet and kind for days. How disturbing would it be if Nina starts doing the same?" He laughed, passed his fingers through his hair, then resumed pacing.

Highly. Blaise thought. He sighed. "Sit down, Theo."

"Fuck off." Theo retorted fervently. Blaise rolled his eyes then returned his attention to his read.

He had just finished the chapter about head trauma when the bed on his left shifted a little. He turned that way as Theo hurried beside him and leaned in on Nina.

"Hi," Theo said gently, using the same tone parents use when they first greet their kids in the morning. "How are you?"

Nina blinked, her eyes getting more into focus with each blink. "Oh great," she croaked. "I wake up and that's the first thing I see?"

Blaise followed her gaze to see she was looking at the Gryffindor. "She's fine." He said matter-of-factly and leaned back in his chair, relieved.

"Did we win?" Nina asked.

Theo rolled his eyes. "Seriously? That's the first thing you want to know? Your shoulder is broken if you haven't noticed."

"Oh, trust me, I've noticed," Nina retorted, her teeth grinding against each other. "But is the game over?"

"We don't know." Blaise said.

"We left after you fell." Theo added.

"You idiots," she huffed then groaned. "But who am I kidding? They're definitely going to lose without me scoring... He broke his leg, huh? Good he won't be able to run when I kick his arse."

"You will not be kicking anyone's arse," Blaise scolded her. "Madame Pomfrey said you ought to keep that sling for at least three weeks, then you'll have to do rehabilitation."