Chapter Three

A/N: A big thank you to delanie09 for your comment, it meant so much to me, being the first comment and all! And thank you for voting for nearly every chapter! Also, thank you to everybody else who has voted. It's not very much compared to other stories, but I can't tell you how excited I am that this has already been read 260+ times! You're all so great! How'd ya like Alpha Atticus?

        I haven't seen Tucker in a week since my birthday, and it's slowly killing me. He's avoiding me, but I know that he hasn't rejected me yet, and until he does I have made a promise to myself to not give up on him. Alpha Atticus made a visit to my pack house this morning and spoke with my father for a long time, and since then he's been giving me sympathetic glances. He probably knows all about my mate who doesn't want me, now. I'm surprised that he's not angry with me for telling him or mom about it. 

        Out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of a familiar blonde head, and in a flash I'm at the window, watching as Tucker makes his way towards the woods with his fists clenched at his side. I realize that this may be my only opportunity for a long time, so I sprint out of my room and out the front door at a speed I didn't know I was capable of. All I know is that I need to talk to him. 

        He's a good distance through the woods, and I'm just a few feet behind him when I trip over a rock and faceplant into the ground, letting out a yelp as my knee drags against a branch. He's by my side in a flash, concern plastered on his face as he takes my knee into his lap and gently wipes the dirt away from it. Nerves explode wherever his fingers touch my skin. 

        "You are so stupid!" He snaps, and the concern on his face is replaced with annoyance as he lifts my ankle to eyeview to inspect it, "You could have broken something, do you know that? Why would you follow me anyways if all you wanted to do was play doctor?" 

        I'm lost for words, and I realize that my cheeks are flushed and that I'm just staring at him. His jaw line is slightly stubbly and his normally piercing blue eyes are a darker shade than usual, and he looks so hot. Burning desire is coursing through my veins. 

        "S-sorry..." I finally manage to stutter, "Um, I uh, I didn't mean to trip." 

        He gently places my leg on the ground once my scraped up knee is cleared of dirt, and stands up, "What are you doing here, Imogen? I thought I told you to leave me alone." 

        I scramble to my feet, "And I thought that I made it clear that I don't care! I went and talked to your dad, Tucker, the day that I realized that you're my mate." 

        His eyebrows furrow, and I cross my arms over my chest nervously as I wait for him to say something, "What, did you tell on me, Imogen? Did you want me grounded to my bedroom?" 

        "No!" I snap, "I went to your dad because I was lost. I told your dad that I am in love with you and I asked him to help me understand why you don't love me." 

        His angry facade faltered for a moment, and he ran a hand through his hair in frustration, "And he told you about my mom, didn't he? Did he tell you that I'm broken? That I need help?" 

        I begin to reply, but he takes a step towards me and pins me against a tree. He's dangerously close to me, I can feel his hot breath billow against my ear as he leans into me and whispers, "Some things can't be fixed, Imogen. And I won't let you spend your whole life wasting your time trying to fix such a thing." 

        I throw my arms around his neck and bury my face in his chest before he can push me away, and I feel his heartbeat racing against my lips, "It wouldn't be a waste of my time, Tucker." 

        He places his hands on my waist and pushes me away, just enough to look down at me and catch my eyes, and he looks so vulnerable. His lip quivers and his eyes seem to take on new depths, "You make it so hard to stay away. Every single day you are the only thought on my mind.. I am physically in pain from longing, Imogen, but I don't know how to love you. I don't think that I can love anybody ever again, and you deserve somebody who will love you." 

        He shakes my arms from my neck and steps away from me, no longer looking at me, and he turns and walks away. Again. 

        I have no choice but to make my way home, and once again the return feels so much longer and heavier than the departure. It feels like hours have passed by the time I catch sight of the pack house, but before I can get any closer a hand pulls me into the evening shadows that the arena casts. I know by the lack of sensation that it's not Tucker, but regardless my heart races with hope and anticipation.        

        Valentine's face is what I see next, and suddenly I feel nervous. We haven't spoken since the morning of my birthday, when he looked so hurt. Concern fills his eyes, and he takes my hand. Mine feels limp and cold in his, and I stare at the ground when he speaks, "I followed you today, Imogen." 

        I snap my head up to meet him with a glare, but he continues speaking before I can tell him off, "Tucker is right, Imogen. You deserve somebody who can love you, and I love you. I always have. Imogen, I don't have a mate." 

        My mind puzzles over this, but he continues once again, "I'm the odd one out of us twenty seven. My feelings for you are as strong as ever, Imogen. And, if you'll let me, I can do for you what Tucker won't."