44. s w a t - the motherland

Start from the beginning

"Asfi!!!" She whined.

"Ok. Sorry, go on." The laughter still playing at his lips. His laugh was free like the space in his mind. The peace filling the gaps. He felt complete for the first time in his life.

"I was thinking." He raised his eyebrow, but just smirked at her squinting eyes. "If we could maybe takeAylaKabirandZachwithus?"

He furrowed his eyes.

"If we could what?"

"If we could take Ayla, Kabir, and Zach with us?"

His jaw dropped open, and she pushed it close and winked at him.

"It's supposed to be our honeymoon?" He questioned her as if she forgot.

"How was it even our honeymoon? We are going to go see your grandparents." She replied as if he was actually dragging her there against her will.

"Well, you were the one who decided it." He was baffled at the blame put on him. Oh, Rabail Noor was working her magic of refusing to accept anything and everything.

"Well, you didn't say no to it. If you really wanted to go on our honeymoon, you would've gone right after our wedding."

Huh? What? How were these two things correlated? How did we even get to this point?

"Rabail!" He raised his eyebrows at her.

"Okay, I was messing with you." A small smile played on her lips. "But listen to me, we're going to go see your family. The family Ayla and Kabir deserved to know as well. Take them with you. Show them the love that healed you. We have a whole life to ourselves to go on our honeymoon. They need this trip to rebuild that bond with you before it's too late. They need to know that their elders love them. Their grandfather and their grandmama. They are all there."

"Rabi,"

"You need this, Asfi. My bond with Hassan is the only thing close to family I have from there. Give that to your brother and sister."

"What about us?" Of course, he wanted to give this time to his siblings, but he had promised this trip to Rabi alone and without her happiness, he couldn't do it.

"We'll sneak out sometimes. I heard they have a place called Murree and it snows there. We can go there." She reassured him. "And you owe me a honeymoon to Greek Islands during spring break"

"Oh no, that's a high price for this. It's okay I can take them there on the next trip. This can be our official honeymoon." He wiggled his eyebrows at her.

"Oh, you don't worry about it. I bought the tickets." She untangled herself from him and left the warmth of the bed. "With your card." She skidded across the room, laughing.

"RABI!"

"Ayi, Ayi, Asfi. It's fajar time and you're sitting there missing your prayer. Shame on you. Tch. Tch."

She threw her scarf at him and went to the bathroom. Leaving behind the sound of her laughter that echoed through their room. He removed the scarf from his face and held in his hands. A smile curved his lips. He loved that sound of laughter and more than that it was the way she went beyond the norms of love. Her love for him and his family.

"I love you, Mrs. Khan." He shouted at her and heard that laughter back.

/////

The suitcases were rolled out. The car was ready and Zach was leaning against it. His head in his phone. For the one last time, he stared at the Khan Villa that held so much once, and now nothing.