Year 2

"How is school?"

Dad asked over coffee, we had just finished our brunch. I came home last night for summer holidays. I'd be gone again in a day to spend it with my school buddies. It was just a day and a half I had to spend with my parents. But even that was suffocating. I guess it was the burden of the lie. It had put a wedge between us.

I couldn't go on like this. I wasn't even sure why I was afraid.

"Jake?" Mom gently said, sitting next to me.

"I'm... gay." I could hear the blood pounding in my ears.

I had come out to so many people in the past year. But this was different. These two were the reason I was born. They took pride in my intelligence. When I got the scholarship to do my full schooling in a prestigious private academy, they were over the moon. They fought over to decide whose genes made me smart. My son was a phrase that was said with joy and self satisfaction. Would it change now? Would they fight now to know who gave me the faulty gene that made me gay?

"Go to your room Jake, we will talk about this later." Dad said setting his coffee down.

My face burned as I got up.

"Oh, no. Stay." Mom placed her hand over my arm, I sat down.

"Ty... Let him go. We should talk first."

"You're so oblivious sometimes. Look at his face!" Mom took my chin and forced my face upwards.

"Now... now... Ty...What's wrong with his face? Being gay won't change his face. Your ignorance is mind blowing, baby. Let him go and I'll tell you what is what."

I coughed to cover my untimely laugh. I could see what was happening. They were fighting. To see who was better at handling their son's coming out.

"This man! Jake is worried that we won't accept it... I mean him."

"Do you accept it?" Dad asked, unaware that his mouth was open and hanging.

"Of course. I'm not the old-school one in this room!"

I sighed. Mom worked for a non profit organization that's cleaning Earth of its toxic waste. Dad's working for a company that produces giant ass amount of toxic waste on a daily basis. So yeah. They both had this ongoing argument of who was more ignorant.

"I'm not old school, Ty. I'm practical." He pointed a finger at me. "Jake, you can be anything. Just don't lose your focus. I want to see you as a doctor. I don't care if you are a gay doctor. Understood?"

I bobbed my head. My school was famous for producing future scientists and doctors. We did only one thing in our school. Study. No sports except the mandatory Physical Ed. My scholarship would be revoked if I fail in two consecutive tests in a term.

"Do you want to talk to someone baby? I have a colleague whose daughter is gay." Mom said chewing her upper lip.

"No... um... no... I'm good. I just wanted to let you guys know."

"We're glad."

"Yes baby. We are."

****

Back in my room, I called my OTF — One True Friend. Harry.

He was the first person I came out to. It was last Christmas.

The conversation was something like this.

"I think I like boys."

"You sure?"

"99 percentage."