Chapter 18

AN: Guys, I'm beating my own record with this one. 3,6K words. Enjoy and 'till the next time ✌️

"...got it?" Raven asked after good 15 minutes of explaining to Ashley how the stuff she talked about in the tent works.

Blonde tried to follow everything the mechanic said, but when her friend talked about mechanisms and complicated devices, she always got so into it, it was hard to keep up. Ashley admired it though - Raven had a really big knowledge about those things, despite being only 18. Even though blonde knew very little compared to her, brunette still taught her a lot in the time they were in their old camp. And Ashley had to admit that Raven had an ability to interest her in that kind of things - she was patient when it came to practice and passionate when it came to explaining. She was the best kind of teacher you could have.

"Um, yeah, I think" Ashley scratched at her neck awkwardly, while pulling away from the table the radio was on.

Raven crossed her arms on her chest, tilting her head. She didn't buy it.

"Sure" brunette said with amused smile. "Don't worry. You'll get there, kid" she added and patted Ashley's shoulder passing by.

"Hey!" it was blonde's turn to cross her arms. She turned to Raven who was now putting her stuff into one of the boxes.

"First of all, I'm just a year younger than you so stop calling me a kid" she pointed her finger at Raven. "And second, I…understood like...a half of it. At least I got to the 'feedback loop' part. Then…" she shrugged. "There was this harder part."

Raven just chuckled, not stopping what she was doing. Ashley smiled to herself, shaking her head, then looked in the window's direction. After approaching it to get a closer look, she saw people gathering around the main building and talking, confused about what was happening. The word spread through Camp Jaha quickly and most of the residents already knew that something was coming. There was a voice on the speakers that was echoing in the entire camp, giving people directions on what they should do.

Ashley and Raven were holed up in the workshop as always, but this time, just to avoid all of the commotion outside. It started to become their thing - sneaking away from everyone when they had a chance and seeking at least a moment of calm together.

Sneaking out was once her and Octavia's thing.

Ashley frowned.

"I hope Bellamy and Octavia are gonna come back before all this mess is going to make us move to the other side of the planet" she said, observing the crowd.

"Don't you worry, they'll be fine" Raven assured her, still fumbling with the parts of some device in her hands.

"Yeah. Let's hope so" blonde sighed.

The girl's tone made Raven sent her a quick glance, which she couldn't see, cause she was still staring out the window. Brunette raised her eyebrow and got back to her work. "What's the deal with you and Octavia anyways?"

Ashley turned around way too fast when she heard that. When she realised it, she leaned at the table behind her and tried to keep it cool.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know" Raven shrugged. "You haven't talked about her in awhile. I was wondering if everything's okay between you two."

Ashley went silent for a moment.

"That's because we're not spending much time together lately. But…but we're good, I think" she was surprised how sad her voice sounded when she said that out loud. If Raven noticed it, she didn't show it and nodded.