Chapter 23 - I'd Rather Die

Começar do início

Howling, he launched at them, jaws crunching shut, crushing one of the men's ribs and tearing a hole in his side while he screamed, blood spraying from his mouth. Dan whipped around and came up under another attacker's guard, tearing out his throat.

Then he shifted, morphing into his human form and picking up a dropped rifle, checking it.

The intruders had broken through their defences out onto Main Street. Luckily, Dan thought, most people in Rivers Crossing had their homes in the woods and the scattering of businesses here were closed at this time of night... Only one place still had it's lights on.

Marvin's Bar & Grill. 

Charlie.

If something happened to him... Dan couldn't bear to finish the thought. He should never have left him alone. Never have brought him back here.

The one I love. 

Who would probably never forgive him for duct-taping him and forcibly bringing him back to face whatever these people were. Who was alone and hurt and unguarded.

Dan realized there and then that it didn't matter to him what Kit had done - Dan was hurt and angry, but he loved him anyway. Loved him no matter what. 

Howling again to catch his pack's attention, he ran.

"Look at what your bullet did to me, Kitty," Devlin said, unbuttoning his dark shirt with the hand gripping the knife.

He dragged it to the side to reveal an ugly, red scar spread out like a spiderweb over his pale chest. 

"Silver. You tried to kill me. And still I love you. Still I forgive you. Still I came to find you. Aren't I magnanimous? Aren't I kind? You will come with me, Kitty."

"Just leave, Devil. Just go! Leave me alone..." 

"What's that, Kitty? You want me to go - just like that - after everything we've been through?" he purred, slamming him against the wall again, grip so tight the bones in Kit's wrist cracked. 

"After everything I have done to you? Don't you wish for revenge?"

"I don't give a shit about that! I just want to forget and start over, so let me go!"

Devlin scoffed quietly, blowing air into Kit's ear. "Really? Even though you went to such lengths to avenge your uncle..."

"That was different," Kit snapped, fingers curling around the blade at his throat, not caring that it dug into the flesh there, ignoring the sharp sting and sticky wetness.  

"Do what the fuck you want to me - I can let it go. But hurt my family and I'll hunt you to the ends of the fucking earth. So don't make that mistake, Devlin Novak."

"Think you are in a position to threaten me, Kit?" he whispered, pressing the knife to his jugular.

"Yeah...I do."

With a crack, Darren burst though the back door just as Dan flung the front doors open, his Glock 19 raised and steady. 

Dan assessed the situation with one look. His senses were sharp with adrenaline - his eyes focused, mind still and clear and free from emotion. 

He saw Kit pressed against a wall with a knife at his throat, by a -

Vampire. 

A snarl ripped out of him and he could hear Darren's answering one.

The vampire spun Kit around and placed his small body between himself and the the two furious werewolves. He was grinning - a lunatic's smile.