Obstacles | I Will Always Find You | II

Start from the beginning

"I will always find you."

She had not heard the firm insistence underlying those words, though she had felt a faint fear. Deepak had smiled when he said it but his eyes were angry, as though warning her not to carry the joke too far. She had rarely seen him angry but she was upset too, if he could leave them to start his police training and then join a dangerous profession, a decision she had opposed with vehemence, she had every right to threaten to run away from him.

She had missed Deepak, with every fiber of her being. Long calls were not possible and the messages they exchanged were not enough. It was then that she realised how lucky she was to have Raj in her life, Raj who was always there for her, comforting her and taking her mind off Deepak. It was also then that Raj told things about Deepak, little ones, like the temper he had which he controlled with an iron will or his determination to never give up. They were tiny things, which put him in a different light. She had never thought that calmness and silence could conceal such turmoil, or that hatred would be hidden under soft smiles and comforting words.

"I will always find you."

She had brushed those words and him off in a fit of anger, tired of being pulled in two directions, Deepak with his silent demeanor who rarely spoke more than necessary was no match to the gentle warnings and subtle hints that Raj dropped. Unable to decide who was right, she had confronted Deepak, who instead of denying Raj's allegations had countered her by demanding to know who was trying to poison her. It had led to their bitterest argument, their relationship, already witness to frequent disagreements, almost broke. She had been infuriated at his insinuation that she was an immature woman who could not judge people for who they were. So she simply broke off with him and as she walked away, she heard him say them again, only this time they appeared to the angry ramblings of a man who was dominating and possessive.

The sliver of light widened, as did her eyes, and the door swung open and banged shut again. She squeezed her eyes closed as the dim light was switched on, aware as to who had walked in. And though she knew it was a futile attempt, she tried to reason with him. As he neared, she spoke, hoarse with despair, "Raj, why are you doing this? Please let me go, please..."

His rude laugh echoed in that dim room, mocking her pleas. She shrank into herself, wondering how the friendly Raj had mutated into this unrecognisable person who had gone to the desperate length of kidnapping her.

"My dear Simran, you are such a fool, it was so easy to convince you that Deepak has a possessive streak. He is a fool too, who lays too much store in love and trust and other funny feelings. You have to fight for the person you love and I have loved you all my life. Yet, you would never notice me, you would turn to me only when Deepak was not around. And as for Deepak, you are his life; he is going crazy wondering what happened to you..."

There was a flare of anger; she really had been stupid to believe in Raj and mistrust Deepak, but even when she had pushed Deepak away, he must not have given up on her, which would have triggered the desperation in Raj. Fueled by that realisation and rage, she burst out, "You... you are the psychopath, and you should worry about Deepak, when he finds out what you have done, he will not leave you alive..."

She felt the tang taste of blood as he slapped her, her cut lip oozing warm blood over her chin, deflating her momentary bravado. And along with the ringing in her ears, Deepak's voice echoed,

"I will always find you."

She now clung to those words, they were the only hope she had as she prayed that Deepak would live up to those words, as he had all their lives; she was losing the battle, her sanity and her strength.

She closed her eyes, surrendering to the inevitable, which was when she heard it, they both heard it, a tiny click. Raj whirled around to see him at the doorway, the man he had been friends with all his life and whom he hated with a vengeance. He let out an angry bellow and charged.

Simran relaxed, she was safe and as she slipped into unconsciousness, all she recalled was the warmth whenever Deepak had said,

"I will always find you."

A week later, Simran lay in the hospital bed, alternating between anger and hope, wondering why Deepak had not come to see her even once. She agreed that she had been wrong, both in judging his intentions and by pushing him away, but then he had come to rescue her, did that not mean anything? Or was it only his duty that drove him?

As if conjured by her thoughts, he stood in her room and she stared at him, at his tired face and taut shoulders, he must have been terrified for her. She also knew that he would not have rested, not even for a second, from the instant he learnt of her disappearance till he had made sure that she was safe and fine. At that instant, all her anger, her prepared speech, her internal tirade dissipated. There was nothing she would say, rather there was nothing to be said. Instead, she just slid out of her bed and threw herself into his arms.

And when he tightened his arms around her, she felt his heart beat against hers, repeating his promise,

"I will always find you."