chapter one ✰

i turn my hair straighter off and apply my lipgloss for the fifth time. this year is my year to thrive as a junior at high school!

i quickly changed into my mini skirt and tube top, also packing a sweater while praying that i won't get dress coded!

i slide on my shoes and tie my laces as i hear my brother from downstairs.

"mars i swear, i'm gonna leave without you!"

elmo was my big brother and just got his first car, meaning my parents are forcing him to take me to school everyday.

he's 'embarrassed' to be around me because he's the most popular guy in his grade and now that he's a senior, he practically rules the school.

i wasn't that popular last year but i think that was because my group was weird, and now that I think of it; super toxic.

my brother hated when they came over, like absolutely hated them and i had no idea why until i saw their true colours, which led to me finally growing the balls to cut them out of my life.

i rushed downstairs and grab the salad i prepared for lunch last night.

what i also did over the summer was become vegetarian, my whole family did! they believe that i'm doing it for environmental reasons, and I am, but honestly I mainly want it for a banging body.

I run outside and hop into Elmo's car.

"finally! hannah is waiting for us!" elmo exclaims as i roll my eyes

"waiting for me, not you!"

"you know she loves me though right?"

"she doesn't because no one loves you!"

"shut up, no one loves you!"

"you love me and besides why do you care if she loves you or not?"

"well, she's hot" he says as we drive off to school.

the only person i didn't cut off from that group was hannah. my ride or die and best friend since middle school. elmo literally had the nerve to tell me:

'i suspected she was going to have a big glow up once she hit sophomore year and i tried to be nice because i knew she would become hot and now that she's hot, i can finally get in with her'

i kind of think elmo actually has feelings for her deep down but obviously doesn't show it to keep up his 'playboy act' which is disgusting.

soon, we arrive in the school car park as elmo revs his engine.

every guy on his football team cheers and run over to the car. everyone in the football team are so close with each other which is kinda cute but makes me believe they're all secretly in love with each-other.

elmo had an epiphany this break about how he wanted to be closer to the 'boys' to gain more chemistry on the field.

once elmo got out of the car and walked away, everyone followed him, leaving space for me to get out of the car and get away from the crowd.

i find hannah at the front of the school and run over to her as she gasps.

"mars! your hair is gorgeous! your face is more defined! you're taller and skinnier! you're tanner!"

"i really look that different?"

"yes, i missed so much these three months holy shit!" she says as we tightly hug.

hannah went on a trip to Europe with her family for the whole of summer, meaning I was alone the whole
time since she's basically my only friend. it seemed to do a lot apparently.