Chapter 1

It was morning in the city of Amext, a city that stood tall near the mountains which were layered in forest trees, and the sun was rising over the horizon. A few miles away stood a large school, surrounded by the mountains and cut off from the city except for one long road that lead the buses into and out of the city. Back in the city, two shadowy figures can be seen laying down on the roof of a small department store.

Justin slept on the roof, snoring soundly and muttering in his sleep with his head on his pet wolf Alpha. Suddenly, there was the beep of an alarm clock going off, waking both Justin and Alpha from their sleep.

"Oh man," said Justin as he rubbed his eyes. "I completely forgot about the alarm. I was hoping I could sleep some more." He stopped the alarm he had set on his watch the previous night and looked at the time. It was 7:50. "Crap!" he said. "I missed the bus!" Justin ran over towards his backpack that was lying on the rooftop and stopped at the edge of the roof. "Come on Alpha, we gotta go." Justin whistled as Alpha ran towards him and the two of them jumped down to the alleyway between the department store and a bakery.

Justin came to a screeching halt as he was running pass the bakery, the smell of fresh bread bringing him inside. "Excuse me?" Justin asked the lady at the counter. "Can I get a bagel to go please? I'm kind of running late."

The lady smiled at him and handed him one of the freshly made bagels, still steaming from the oven. "Here you are," she said. "That'll be five dollars."

Justin pulled out his wallet and handed her the money before running out into the sidewalk. "Thank you!" he shouted as he continued running with Alpha close behind him. Justin ran as fast as he could until he reached the city limits where he stopped to catch his breath. Looking at the road leading into the forest and to the school he could see the only bus that travels down that road until evening enter the forest.

"Damn," Justin muttered through deep breaths. "I'll never catch up at this rate." Just as he was about to give up, Alpha walked up next to him and nudged his shoulder. "You want to carry me the rest of the way?" Alpha nodded. "Okay then," Justin shrugged as he climbed onto Alpha's back. "But do you really think you can get me there before they shut the gates?" As soon as Justin asked the question, Alpha took off at top speed down the road.

Alpha ran into the forest and leaped into the trees, jumping from tree to tree at high speed. Justin held on to Alpha's fur as tight as he could, laying on Alpha's back so that he wouldn't fly off from the sheer power of the wind. It wasn't long before they saw the bus ahead of them.

"There it is!" Justin yelled over the wind. "Go for it!" Alpha jumped to another tree and from there jumped right onto the roof of the bus, landing with a soft thud. "Thanks," said Justin, as he scratched Alpha behind the ears. "Where would I be without you?"

The two of them rode on top of the bus until it came to a stop at the front of the school. They jumped off and walked into the school with all the other students who came off the bus and into the courtyard.