Slowly Falling Deeper

Well, updating Monday night turned into updating Tuesday afternoon BUT here it is in all its fluffy glory.

I also had to split this chapter into two because it was getting so long #rip

Seriously, this chapter alone is FOURTEEN PAGES. So chapter eight will be out later this week after I fix it.

Enjoy! <3 (you're really going to like what happens)

--------------------------------------------

"Riddle me this." 

"Hmm?"

Ryou flipped through the pages of the brain teaser book he'd brought in that morning. "Okay." he said once he settled on a page, "There's a dead man alone in a field with an unopened package beside him. There are no animals in the field where the man died. How did he die?"

Yuugi hummed in thought. They were sitting on the rug of a large D&D map in the gameshop, a pile of letters between them, most of them opened save for a few Yuugi had set off to the side. Since the Kame Game Shop was closed on Sundays, Ryou and Yuugi spent the day going through bills and mail, though it was mostly bills and the spam mail no one wanted. Hence the pile of opened letters.

Ryou pursed his lips. "Maybe the package hit him in the head?"

Yuugi shook his head. "He'd have to have hit himself pretty hard in order to have that kind of head trauma. If someone else had been there, that would've been plausible."

It was a tradition, of sorts. When doing bills, one or the both of them would bring in something to pass the time during all the number crunching. Today, Ryou had brought in a book of brain teasers. It, surprisingly, helped the time pass by.

It also kept the mind off other things... not that Yuugi was thinking about other things. Of course not.

"Maybe he had a heart attack?" Yuugi thought aloud, brow furrowed as he pulled out a bill. He grimaced at the cost.

"I don't think so... The answers are normally right in the question, and nothing in here hints at that." Ryou squinted at the brain teaser again and pouted. "I don't understand."

Yuugi signed off on the bill and put it in another pile before he leaned back, finger thoughtfully tapping his lips.

It was like the answer came out of nowhere.

"Oh." Yuugi huffed out a laugh. "The package was a parachute. It didn't open."

Ryou blinked at him and quickly turned to the page of answers in the back of the book. "Oh." he looked up, shaking his head incredulously. "That's right."

Ryou flipped the page in search for another brain teaser, when, suddenly, Avril Lavigne sang from his pocket, "Come, come kitty kitty; you're so pretty, pretty..."

Yuugi slowly looked up from the next bill he was working on. Ryou was fumbling around with his pockets, blushing bright pink, and it didn't stop even when he'd pulled out his phone and answered the call. Avril Lavigne was cut off, just like that.

Yuugi was absolutely scandalized.

"H-Hello?" Ryou stammered, doing anything he could to not look Yuugi in the eye.

"I'm so judging you right now." Yuugi grinned at Ryou's answering squawk and hush to be quiet and went back to the bills. Jounouchi's voice crackled through the grainy speaker, though Yuugi wasn't quite sure what he was saying. He was that loud.

"Y-Yeah, I'm at the game shop. Why?" Ryou unconsciously pulled his lip between his teeth. Jounouchi said something and laughed, and Yuugi had a familiar prickling sensation begin in his spine. He looked up again, eyes narrowed at the phone. Ryou glanced at him. "Yeah, he's here too. We're doing bills."