Game, Set, Match

SP: So I lost my muse, Yuugi, for a good few weeks after chapter three was released. I think Yami came by and snatched him away for some "nefarious purpose." But he's back now (and surprisingly tan) so it's all good. *hugs Yuugi*

-------

Tick, tick, tick.

This couldn't be any more awkward.

Tick, tick, tick.

The tension was thick enough to cut with a knife -- at least, on his end. Yami was sitting beside him as though he didn't have a care in the world. Unlike Yuugi Yami was able to pay almost every single ounce of attention to the I^2's game department head, who was discussing new deadlines for the finishing touches of the company's new and upcoming expansion for one of its famous MMO games.

Yuugi, on the other hand, was doing his best not to look to his right. Yami had been sneaking humored peeks at him throughout the entire meeting and it took everything in Yuugi's power to not stare back. He was worried he'd say something, and he couldn't afford that in front of everyone else in the meeting.

He'd done everything he could to make sure he wasn't within a few feet -- or, in a few cases, the same room -- as Yami. Yuugi was worried he'd do more than just slap him (which had been perhaps the most amazing thing he'd ever done, it sure helped him feel better about their first encounter) and that he couldn't afford. It was a general rule for people to never hit their superiors, even if they were jerks.

He was lucky everyone, even Yami (much to Yuugi's chagrin), took it extremely well. Duke and Marik even laughed once Yami explained the situation. Even after all that, Yami still had the gall to smirk at him!

At least he got the hint and backed off. That was a welcome relief.

Yuugi flexed the guilty hand under the table, which had begun to sting as though he'd just slapped Yami again. He had to admit he did feel a little bad about it but Yami had it coming!

"These meetings are pretty boring, aren't they?" came an amused murmur beside him.

Yuugi stilled and stopped flexing his hand, instead clutching the clipboard he was holding with both hands. He gave Yami a tight smile and a clipped answer. "Not really."

Yami adjusted his seating position and leaned against the left arm of his chair, getting inconspicuously close into Yuugi's comfort zone. Yuugi leaned back into his seat to further the distance. "Why are you flexing your hand? Did it get hurt?"

Yuugi's grip on the clipboard tightened. "Why do you care, Mister Sennen?"

"Because I do. And, because I like you."

Hold up. "Wait, wha--"

"And last, but not least, I'd like to discuss the gameplan for I-con." interjected Misaki, the department head. Just like that, Yami readjusted his position, gave Yuugi a wink and returned to the conversation at hand.

"Be sure to take good notes of this, Yuugi."

Yuugi spluttered quietly before taking in a deep breath and letting it out with a slow exhale. He shot Yami a dirty look and focused on his growing notes. You don't just say something like that and leave it hanging in the air! Prick!

He paused. But did he mean the like as in like, or the like as in like like?

Another part of him replied, Does it really matter? Yuugi sighed and pushed the incident to the back of his mind. Yami was probably just trying to get under his skin as usual.